Chapter 1

Y/n's pov

I had been in love with Carlos Sainz since I was 10 years old. Not the kind of  sweet, unconditional love you see in the movies but a hopeless devotion that slowly tears you apart and a little voice in your head telling you its never gonna happen.

We had grown up together back in Madrid, our mum's had been best friends back in school. He was 3 years older than me so had always thought of me as a little sister, which crushed me more and more each day.

I had first realised I loved him after watching Attack of the Clones for the first time. Watching the love between Anakin and Padme sparked something inside me that hasn't left in 15 years.

"Y/n?" my mum called from the bottom of the stairs. "Ven abajo, ya nos vamos."

"Mamá, en inglés por favor," I moaned at her.

"Living in London does not mean you should forget your Spanish," she shook her head. "Come on your dad is in the car already."

I walked out the front door of my parents' house and towards the car. Equipped with my Ferrari cap and sunglases, I hopped into the backseat of my dad's car. I opened Instagram and saw my feed filled with pictures of the streets of Barcelona lined with fans ready to see the race. I groaned as Carlos' face appeared all over my screen.

"What's the matter Y/n?" my dad said.

"Oh nothing," I sighed and closed my phone. "Where's Mamá?"

"You know what she's like," Dad smiled. "I'm pretty sure your brother is already there."

"Félix is coming?"

"I thought you knew, he never misses the Grand Prix."

My brother and Carlos had been close when we were younger. They had formed a duo as they both karted and were in the same year at school and my brother never included me in whatever they were doing. I was just Félix's little sister who got in the way. Carlos tried to include me in some things, but it was never the same.

"Here she is," Dad started the car.

We pulled up into the carpark, the sun blazing in the sky. I adjusted the strap on my sandals and put my sunglasses over my eyes. We walked into the paddock and towards the Ferrari building. Carlos had invited us to his home Grand Prix and for some reason my nerves started to get the better of my and my heart pounded in my chest.

It had been months since I'd seen him last. The sliding doors opened to reveal the suite. Charles Leclerc was sat in the corner with his new girlfriend, Amelia. They looked up from their conversation and smiled as we walked in.

My dad walked over to the coffee machine and brought back one for each of us. We sat there for a while, watching people bustle by and I watched as it grew cloudier and cloudier by the second.

"Mamá?" I asked. "Where's Félix?"

"That's a good question, querida," She replied checking her watch. "He said he'd be here by now."

"Well, he's got your genes," my dad laughed sipping his coffee.

Then, all at once, I snapped away from their happy conversation as Carlos walked out from the offices. His dark hair was messy on his head and I watched, in a trance, as he walked over to talk to Charles.

He gestured in our direction and Carlos immediately spun round and raced over. My mum jumped up out of her seat and squeezed the life out of the poor man. My dad gave him and affectionate, but manly, pat on the shoulder before Carlos' gaze rested on me.

"Y/n," he said. "It's been a long time."

"Yeah it has," I managed to splutter. I hate the way he made me feel. Totally and utterly intoxicated by his every action. My whole body yearned for him to touch me. "You've have a good weekend so far."

"Si, better than expected actually, especially after last weekend," he nodded, still holding my gaze. Carlos had finished P8 in Monaco, after struggling in the wet to find pace. It was painful to watch even at home. "Is Félix coming?"

That question was a painful blow. No matter how hard I tried, I was always 2nd in this family to my brother.

"He should be here by now," Mamá said, starting to look worried.

"Speak of the devil," my dad pointed out the door to see my brother walking in as if he had all the time in the world.

He bounced in, beaming from ear to ear as he saw us standing with Carlos, and he rushed over. They embraced each other before laughing and talking to each other in fast Spanish which my frazzled little brain struggled to keep up with.

My mum coughed, and signalled to them that my dad was completely excluded from the conversation from speaking little Spanish, even after living in Spain for 30 years.

"Sorry Mamá, sorry Dad," Félix smiled. "It's just been so long. Maybe if you weren't this hotshot Ferrari driver, we'd have more time together."

He punched Carlos playfully in the arm. "Well I hear you've been all over the world with your new job."

"Yeah, it's been great. You'd think watching people film fish all day would be boring, but surprisingly it's not," Félix laughed. He had recently gotten the job of directing a documentary series about fish and other sea animals, which sounded really boring but convinced us it wasn't.

"Well us too better be off to find our seats in the grandstand," my dad said, making his way towards the door. "Are you two staying here?"

"I think so," I looked at Carlos and he nodded. "We'll come and find you later."

And just like that it was me, Félix and Carlos once again.