Chapter 5

Y/n's pov

It was 2 days after the Spanish Grand Prix and my feelings for Carlos had only grown, much to my annoyance. It was lunchtime and I was just finishing lunch with Macey, Ella, Caitlin and Amelia. Ella was Charles' cousin and had had 3 coffees in the 45 minutes that we had been here.

"And Amelia said she didn't want a boyfriend, look at her now," Caitlin laughed as Amelia blushed.

"Speaking of boyfriends, Ella who were you with this weekend," Macey prodded her in the arm.

"I was with no one, I was busy working thank you very much," Ella rolled her eyes as we all laughed.

"Is there anything happening in your life Y/n?" Amelia turned to look at me.

I was caught off guard by the question. I had many years of practice covering up my true feelings for Carlos but after seeing him again, they had all come bubbling to the surface.

"No, not at the moment," I smiled. "I've sworn off men for a while."

"Y/n it's been 3 years since Max," Caitlin said.

I rolled my eyes. Although she was correct, everything with Max felt like yesterday and it all came screaming back to me when I thought about it.

"What happened with Max?" Macey asked her face full of curiosity.

"Um, it's a long story," I shrugged, but they all peered round the table eagerly. "But I guess we have time. So it was 3 years ago, and just after lockdown, and I was all excited to be free but also really stupid and naïve."

"Ah to be stupid and naïve again," Ella sighed.

"Ella you still are," Caitlin replied, making the rest of us laugh. "Continue."

"So anyway, me and Max met in Austria and he asked me out and I said yes, stupidly ignoring Carlos and Félix pretty much everyone. It was good at first, calm, but then a few weeks in the cracks started to show, neither of us were really committed to the relationship. We just quickly spiralled into a ball of flames arguing and arguing but then making up and having one good night together which I thought was what passion was all about," I took a breath before continuing. "Then, long story short the fire fizzled out and we were left a burnt out mess. We argued then I moved to London and didn't leave my apartment for a week and Max nearly killed some stewards the next race."

They stared at me, shocked. I didn't mention that throughout the entire relationship I had be completely hung up on Carlos which probably didn't help the situation.

"Jeez, when you said Max thing I thought it was something like a one night stand," Macey looked at me in disbelief.

"Yeah, that must've been awful," Amelia smiled at me.

"It wasn't great, but I'm pretty much over it," I shrugged it off.

"Well I hate to finish on that note, but we have to get to the airport," Caitlin said, picking up her bag. "Its a shame you don't live in Monaco anymore, we would have so much fun."

"Félix still has his apartment in Nice, maybe I could use that sometimes and come and visit?" I suggested, assuming my brother would be fine with it and not willing to ask him.

"That would be great," Caitlin hugged me before calling a taxi. "Text me if you need anything."

"It's been great meeting you Y/n," Ella waved goodbye, as did Macey and Amelia before they climbed into the back of the cab.

I waved them off and walked to the place Félix was meeting me to us back to our parents house. Barcelona was a beautiful city, although it was packed with tourists all year round. I looked around and down to the sea front. The sun was shining and I leaned on the railings to look out at the beach. I realised how lucky I was to be born in such a beautiful country.