Chapter 26

Carlos' pov

"Lando, I said before, I don't want to do anything today."

He rolled his eyes as he walked ahead of me into the club. "Carlos, it's your birthday. You can't sit in a dark room, alone and pretend you're the Spanish Batman."

"Spanish Batman?"

"Just come inside, have a drink, relax a bit," Lando pushed me into the door.

I opened the door. I saw a massive banner with my name on it hanging above the bar. It was light, bright and sparkly, and I know exactly who was behind this. She ran over to me and Lando.

"Happy Birthday Carlos!" Caitlin smiled and kissed me on the cheek. "This is alright isn't it?"

"Yes, it's alright, thank you," I smiled at her, Lando put his arm round her shoulder.  "I'm assuming you did this together."

"We do our best scheming together," Cailin said. "This part was easy ."

"Your sisters are here, Charles and Amelia, Ella and Erling, everyone is here," Lando gestured around the room. He looked down at Caitlin but she shook her head.

"What?"

"Nothing," Caitlin said, she pointed to where Charles was. "Why don't you go say hi to everyone?"

"Ok," I said sceptically. "Thanks again, I mean it."

I left them alone and made my way over to Charles. I hadn't seen him since Zandvoort, and before that not all during summer. I had isolated myself from everyone. I couldn't deal with opening myself up to someone again just to be shut down again. Maybe it was time to start over.

"Carlos, happy birthday," Charles smiled at me. "Having a good day?"

"Better now," I smiled back at my teammate and his girlfriend.

"Happy birthday Carlos, I've missed seeing you around," Amelia said, she looked genuine, something that I'd missed.

"Yeah, it's been a long summer," I shrugged.

"We heard about everything," Charles added. "But anyway, here's your birthday present."

He handed me a small, neatly wrapped square. I felt the plastic case and raised my eyebrows at Charles who was smiling like a psychopath. I unwrapped the present and immediately starting laughing.

"A signed copy of Smooth Operator?" I smiled at them both. "How did you even do this?"

"I have my ways," Amelia shrugged. "It was Charles' idea."

"Well thank you both," I smiled.

"So," Charles said . "How are you?"

"I'm assuming you're asking about me and Y/n because you said that extremely slowly," I replied and Charles nodded. "Not great, I ignored her all summer. She called me a lot in the first week but after that, she stopped. I think I just need to talk to her and get everything out in the open, but I doubt she'll want to talk to me now."

I sighed but Amelia pointed to the door behind me. "I wouldn't be so sure."

Y/n walked in, black dress on, dark hair curled to perfection. Behind her Félix walked in, clutching Macey's hand. My eyes were drawn back to Y/n. It's like the whole world stopped. Everything that had happened in the past month faded away, and I realised how much I missed her.

"This was part of Caitlin's plan wasn't it?" I said without tearing my eyes away from Y/n.

"Of course," Charles laughed.

"Go on Carlos," Amelia pushed me forward, and I felt myself walking towards them.

Y/n locked eyes with me. I saw her take a sharp and sudden breath. I could tell she was nervous, I didn't blame her. I was surprised she even turned up.

"Carlos."

"Y/n," we both said at the same time. I could feel my heartbeat quicken as she held my gaze.

"Happy Birthday," she smiled, and my nerves drifted away. It was the kind of smile that made her eyes sparkle like the ocean on a sunny day. "I got you something, it's small, nothing really."

I opened the little bag. Inside was a snow globe. It was a waterfall with tiny blue sparkles. I recognised it immediately.

"This is that waterfall isn't it?"

"I picked it up in the gift shop," she smiled.

"Thank you, this means a lot Y/n," I looked at it, then back up into her eyes. "Y/n, I think we need to talk. Like properly talk, about us, about everything."

"I know, I've been thinking about it too," she looked down at her feet. "But not right now, do you think you could meet me tomorrow? At Félix's in Nice?"

"Yeah, I can do that," I nodded and her face lit up.

"Ok, good, I'll go and find Ella and Caitlin,"
Y/n turned away, and walked towards the bar.

I looked back down at the snow globe. I ran my fingers over it and noticed something sticking to the bottom of it. I tipped it upside down. There was a square of paper taped on the bottom of the circle.

Confused, I removed the paper and unfolded it. It looked like a diary entry. I scanned my eyes across the page.

3rd August 2023

Today was a fairytale. I don't know how I came to be so lucky. Carlos told me he loved me! It was cold but after that, I couldn't feel it. It was like I was floating in a bubble so high it was unpoppable. I've still not come down, I'm writing this right now whilst looking at him cooking. Who knew pasta could be so captivating? We've only got a 2 days left now, but I'm dreading it with every bone in my body. 2 whole weeks with our family? Torture. I've never loved anyone this much, and the thought of being apart is crushing. But right now, spaghetti is ready.