Chapter 17

Y/n's pov

I watched Carlos leave the room. He looked upset and my heart broke. I looked up to see Jorge smiling down at me. He was handsome and everything, but I felt nothing as I looked at him, not like I did with Carlos.

"I'm sorry Jorge," I said. "I have to go."

"What?"

"I have to leave, to get some air," I shook my head.

"You can't just leave me in the middle of the dance floor," he looked angry which scared me a little.

"I'm sorry, there's plenty of other girls here."

He grabbed my wrist and held on tight as I started to live away. "Don't walk away Y/n."

"Jorge let go," I said trying to pull my arm free. "You're hurting me."

"There's a room full of people," he glared at me. "Don't make a scene."

"You're the one making a scene, let me go."

He didn't budge so I did the only thing I could and stamped on his foot. Hard. The heel hitting his toe. He let out a cry and loosened his grip on me so I was able to slip away. I walked as fast as I could to the exit.

I stood outside the room, shaken and frightened. I looked around hoping to see Carlos but I didn't. I walked down the hall to the second ballroom, and stood by the fireplace, was Carlos.

"Carlos," I said quietly. "Why did you go?"

"I didn't want to see you cozied up to that man," he said back, not looking up.

I could here the music through the wall and the happy chatter if people. "Believe me, we were not cozied up."

"That's what it looked like Y/n."

"Carlos please don't be upset," I said, I forced the tears down. "I was talking to him."

"Yeah I know."

"I'm never going to speak to him again."

"Don't hold back on my account," his voice was quieter now.

"Carlos he grabbed me, he wouldn't let me go," I bit my lip to stop myself from crying.

Carlos' head snapped up. "He did what?"

"He grabbed my wrist when I said I wanted to leave."

"Did he hurt you?" He eyes were steady and looked straight into mine.

"That's not important Carlos," I said but I could see him already getting angry.

He walked past me and towards the door. "No Carlos don't leave please."

I couldn't stop the tears now. They flowed down my face uncontrollably like a waterfall. He turned round and put his strong arms around me. I felt safe again.

"No one is ever going to hurt you Y/n," he whispered. "Not whilst I'm here."

"This is so hard Carlos."

"I know."

"I don't like pretending in front of everyone, it hurts me to see you like this," I cried some more into his chest.

"It's ok, we'll get through this, we'll find a way," he said, but I could hear the doubt in his voice.

"But what if we can't?"

"Shhh," he said. "Let's not think about the future, think about right now."

He pulled away from me and kissed my forehead. He smiled and butterflies returned to my stomach.

"May I have this dance?" He extended his arm to me and bowed theatrically like a prince.

"You may," I laughed as I took his hand and curtsied.

He twirled me around and we laughed and danced to the faint sound of music coming through the wall. At that moment, it was like we were dancing in a snow globe. Everything else was irrelevant and it was just us two.

The music stopped and I heard someone announce that the fireworks were starting. We walked towards the patio doors and watched the guests file out down the steps and into the garden.

"The door is locked," I said, trying the handle on the old wooded door.

"Watch," Carlos kicked the bottom of the door three times and hit the top of the frame and it popped open.

"How did you know that?"

"How do you think me and Félix used to sneak out to parties when we were younger?" He grinned at me.

I rolled my eyes and walked out onto the patio and towards the edge of the balcony. I looked out onto the gardens were people stood with champagne in their hands waiting for the fireworks to begin. The moonlight shone into the dark sea. Carlos stood next to me, his hand placed at the bottom of my spine.

We stood there together as the first firework shot up and exploded, turning the sky red. I looked up at Carlos, his eyes reflecting the sparks. He smiled and leant in to kiss me. His lips crashed into mine.

"So it's true," Félix stood behind us.