2: What if? "Don't be scared."

Athanasia is three when she runs around the Emerald Palace, making her way to Claude, still a little confused at how well her life was turning out right from the beginning

Wasn't Claude supposed to be the one who overthrew the tyrant Emperor? 

Wasn't he supposed to be the one who gave her the cold shoulder for years before wrongfully executing her?

So why was it that when she realized she had been reincarnated as little Athanasia de Alger Obelia, she was comfortably living in the Emerald Palace with dozens of maids at her every beck and call?

She had left Lily behind, but she could hear her call out for her, "Your highness! Oh, your highness, where are you?"

Every little thought she voices aloud comes true, one way or another, and she remembers the little gold ball in her room, but her short legs struggle and fail to support her as she runs into a wall.

No, not a wall- a person. And not just any person.

Athanasia looks up, and she blinks in surprise. 

This person looked just like Claude with the blond and gem eyes, but the hair- Athanasia squinted- it was a different hairstyle than Claude's.

Her eyes widened at the realization that slowly dawned on her as she finds a hand extended out to her.

"Hello, dear niece. It's been a while since I've last seen you, and you, me." His eyes crinkle at the edges, a sign of someone with a lot of laughter. 

"So, have you given some thought as to whether you still want Claude as your father?"

Athanasia grabs the hand unthinkingly, and she's raised to her feet before she's in his arms. 

"Wha-!"

Low laughter rung in her ears, "Have you chosen me as your father then?" 

She very quickly realizes that they're going to Claude's office, and she stares at his gem eyes, knowing there's only three people with those eyes today...ah, wait.

The Lovely Princess...was she here too?

Four then.

Anastasius de Alger Obelia, elder half-brother to Claude, known as the Tyrant Emperor, but was now Grand Duke Soleil, was still alive and well. On good terms with Claude, even.

As if her reincarnation wasn't surprising enough, she had to find out that the plot line of the story had vastly changed, but she didn't want to dwell too long on the circumstances.

What if she thought too hard...and people thought her odd for her age? 

Too smart, too weird, too unlike other children her age that they'll keep her at arms length and shower her in compliments because she's the princess and the crown heir, but crowed insults behind her back?

Just be enough. Show off in front of the person who needs to see it, needs to see her worth to him- to the Empire.

She bites her bottom lip, worrying the dry skin as it peels away with a burst of pain. She doesn't stop.

She would be great in the future, but she should save that for much later. She was young, it could wait. The only thing that couldn't wait- wouldn't wait- for anyone in fact, was her death.

Her expression grew severe, something unfitting on a child of her size and age, but she would think of how to get away before then. She would live.

Athanasia de Alger Obelia would not die like that, wronged and executed for a crime she didn't commit. 

And if she could keep her seat as princess? Kept living in the Emerald Palace until she too was rightfully sat on the throne?

She would keep to it. She would. She promised.

They had made their way up to the guards without her noticing but she forgets to wriggle out of his arms before they enter together, the first time for both, and Claude looks up, his pen falling from his hand and ink splatters across the documents in front of him.

Athanasia grimaces inwardly at the sight, holding her arms out as Claude stalks towards them, and swipes Athy from his brother's grasp. 

He checks over her worriedly, a facade- as his brother had already conceded his right to the throne.

She puts on a bright smile and chirps out, "Papa!" 

His eyes meet hers and calm, once like the turbulent sea but now, like the lake she saw from the windows.

Whatever the reason, even with her mother's death, Claude was a loving father from the very beginning and he didn't have his brother's blood on his hands either.

Anastasius raises his hands in mock surrender, laughter making his shoulders pulse up and down and Athanasia finds herself laughing along as Claude finally cracks a smile.

The room was full of sunshine and the warmth made her drowsy, nestling her head against Claude's chest.

She could hear him shush Anastasius, and she tiredly notes to call him uncle the next time she ran into him.

Your thoughts on part two?!? Y'all were like, what's with the twist!? And I was like, idk how to tell you guys but I just like italicizing things sometimes

Your thoughts on part two?!? Y'all were like, what's with the twist!? And I was like, idk how to tell you guys but I just like italicizing things sometimes...*shields myself from your axes*