the Sacrifice: Athanasia's pov + epilogue

Athanasia passes time almost agonizingly, watching the clouds float past where she could see the turbulent sea, and the way she could see her parents dance with each other in the rose gardens that had given her so much joy- yet, so much pain.

How the sky rumbles with an outpour of rain, hail threatening to shatter the windows as her father sits at the edge of the bed, clutching onto her mother's wrist, his gem eyes staring out towards the place where she had last seen him before she voluntarily descended to judgment's embrace.

He turns away, and in the darkness, Athanasia can't make out his expression; perhaps it was for the best that she couldn't. 

She wasn't sure whether she could bear watching him suffer again as she watched him struggle alone in the darkened chambers, swirling whiskey in a glass, crying at the thought of her mother in front of him.

Her fingers stroke the cool glass lovingly, seeing her father smile at her mother in sleep, tucking the sheets around her and Athanasia feels a dull ache in her chest. 

She presses against her heart soothingly, a dim smile flickering on her face that was still as lovely as it was when she had been alive.

The sun rises, then the moon, then the sun once more, and she sees her father reach into a desk drawer, and she sticks to the glass, hoping- wishing- and finds him making it come true as she sees a little version of herself on a boat ride. 

Of her across from him, having tea in the gardens. Of her dancing with him at her debutante. Oh, daddy.

Her hand covers her mouth, biting the insides of her cheek as she leans in, wishing she could comfort him as she watches him listen to her singing a lullaby of stars and moons from a long, long time ago. 

She watches her mother stroke the marble where she had slipped in her blood, makes rose bouquets and places them at the tombs, singing as she hugs her husband close, life had been given to her again- life that had been stolen from her by those who were unworthy of her presence.

In the corner of her vision, glistening emerald green ribbons and gold chiffon flow around a pair of feet, a soft breeze whispering past her ears and flinging her long hair behind her shoulders as she turns to greet the person who would guide her.

The sound of golden bracelets moving against each other rings in her ears and her winged sandals are replaced with nothingness as she steps up to the pearly white threshold that awaited her. 

She clenches the offered hand and unwillingly, tears find their way down her face as she looks through the entrance to find nothing but sheer white, and the unknown.. terrified her.

Ah, what was life without a little fear?

Her lips turn up into a heartbroken smile before they turn down again, her legs shaking underneath her, her sobs choking her until she couldn't even breathe. 

She clutches at the front of her dress, soft, loving hands stroking her shoulders as she breaks down, only sheer will keeping her still standing.

What really was the truth?

She didn't want to see her parents have another... child. She didn't want to see that brother of hers take her place as heir to Obelia. 

She was their only child.

She was her father's only heir. 

She was...tears pooled again.

She didn't want- she didn't want to die

Salty tears upon her tongue as she wails aloud, why was she like this?