Who is he, really?

AU idea bouncing around my head currently: Claude still usurping the throne but becoming Anastasius.

.

.

.

.

Still hung over the fact that he's a half-blood and not generally accepted by the nobility, he chooses to kill himself and become the "true heir" instead, throwing away his given name that meant, "the limping."

The only people that know he's not actually Anastasius is Felix and Duke Robane, plus Diana when she becomes his lover/concubine. 

But by becoming Anastasius, he's doomed his child, Athanasia to be called a half-blood instead because of Diana, and he doesn't know how to approach the child that will have to go through the same childhood as himself, but without even a mother by her side.

Sure, he had given Diana a viscount title but it wasn't enough to keep mouths from blabbing. 

His child grows up and he leaves her alone, even as his heart rips apart from Diana's death and losing precious moments of his child growing up- instead, letting Count York's second daughter take care of her in the Emerald Palace.

He had to keep this mask up. He had to stay Anastasius. 

Just as her name was Athanasia, they would both be the true heirs to the throne with names that meant, "Immortality." 

But when her debutante comes and he escorts her, she wears her hair both in similarity to Diana's with the waves but also like Anastasius, just like he was, right next to her.

When they call their names, "His majesty, Emperor Anastasius de Alger Obelia! Her highness, Princess Athanasia de Alger Obelia!" he crumbles a little inside. 

Wondering if things would have turned out differently had he kept his name. If he could tell her that he went through the same things when he was younger, that she wasn't alone.

But he shouldn't. 

...He couldn't. 

He had dug his grave. Now...now he would lay in it.

now he would lay in it