5: What if? 'Is it over?'

And because everything was worth it for her, their world came crashing down like a rock upon a glass table, when Athy coughs up blood during their morning tea one balmy day.

"Athanasia?" Claude's eyes were trying to dissuade him from believing what he was seeing.

His only child, coughing, and something bright red slipping through her fingers and splattering on her dress. The ribbons that used to be the color of dove feathers, now stained.

Anastasius and Claude's voices overlap, "Athanasia!?" and they scramble to catch her as she falls off her seat

Forgetting they have mana to catch her mid-air as they end up with grass on their knees and terror in their eyes as Claude cradles Athanasia in his arms, gold emanating from his hands.

Anastasius is shouting for the guards to get the Imperial magicians, his usually well-maintained decorum broken in the span of seconds.

The moment he sees the magicians, he doesn't immediately lift his hand from where he was supplying Claude with more mana, just in case the flow to Athy broke- and his strained voice screams, "What are you doing, taking so long!? Hurry up and save her!"

The magicians scatter, putting up protective barriers and green mana swirls around them, desperately trying to figure out the cause of the blood whilst stopping it.

Claude's eyes are glowing with how much mana he was spending all at once, and he keeps whispering, "Athanasia, please. Please, stay with me. Please, I beg of you. Please."

It was like Diana's pregnancy all over again, how he had begged her to choose him over the child-

"This is nothing but some stupid game of emotions. But knowing that, I still end up showing all my cards like this again. Don't think about anything else. Decide this with only yourself in mind. Don't leave. Choose me."

But she had chosen Athanasia, and he had only figured out later, much later, that she had chosen their love. And it would last an eternity.

Anastasius is pacing back and forth, mud ruining his expensive shoes, but he could care less about something like that. Athanasia could not die. She couldn't.

He scrunches his brow, pained. She wouldn't.

The first week Athanasia is unconscious, the palace's servants try to keep things normal. It wouldn't be long before their princess woke up. Everything would be fine, why wouldn't it be?

The strongest Emperor that Obelia had ever seen was her father, it was just a temporary thing.

Two weeks of Athanasia being unconscious and Claude holds her hand, having tucked her into his bed in his rush to get her somewhere safe, and the Emerald Palace had been farther from where they had been initially.

He's disconsolate, distancing himself from Anastasius and Felix, staying up most nights and making sure Athanasia didn't stop breathing sometime in the night.