Chapter 45: Crossing Convictions

A skull shaped ghost the size of a young adult with two blades fought to break free from Hanako's extended limbs. They reached for their human partner, who wore a sparkly lurex fabric robe with square arm tatters and Doc Martens Combs II poly casual boots. Their ghoulish mask would not be out of place in a slasher movie.

Yue-Gambi pulled her arms back from leaving. "Boyfriend, now!"

Syntel and Lilac dashed together, the latter's vine smacking them in the face so hard their head turned the other direction. Vanish Reaper's human half swayed to see the former gripping his fist, filled with rage for their torment and punching their mask straight off.

Once they fell to the ground, Syntel's anger morphed into the same shock on everyone's face, barring Gordel and Yue-Gambi.

"You're Vanish Reaper?"

Yue snuffed. "Get up, don't you have anything to say to your audience?"

They picked themselves up, covering their cheeks.

"Dolores?"

She adjusted her scuffled, ruff blonde hair. Her face was filled with battle scars.

"Dumb mutt," rising up akin to a zombie. "How did you know?"

"It was a fifty-fifty guess. Syn mentioned Gordel had a daughter, so I checked the alumni network after Hyun's gamble. Your parents' records were cut, but they were the only people with Valdis as their last name. And that girl at the school looked exactly like you would if you grew older. So, you're his illegitimate daughter?"

"You think you're so smart, huh dipshit?! He's my uncle. Took me in while they're still comatose."

Syntel glanced to Gordel, then back to Dolores. "She was the girl looking for her parents that night, wasn't she," earning a nod from his family friend. His eyes held contempt and sympathy.

"Don't give me that we're not so different look. I've been working for years to get them back to normal unlike you," rubbing her cheeks. "Finally lived up to your namesake Twinkerbell, that strike stung a bit."

Hanako's reach extended to Dolores' neck as Aurora cut in between them with killing intent. "You," fighting her throat, "made me start that fire?"

"Duh. Uncle gets to restore his original lab, your broken ARMS take the heat, and we stay undetected. Still, you were a good model to flesh out how the Possessed Synchronizations work with these beasts," earning a scowl from her Shinigami partner. "Not you, Yami, you're still the best girl."

Aurora let her sister choke her tormentor. "You were there at the party, stole my memories, over and over!"

"Calm down comic girl, you chose to go. Frankly with that outfit you had on, you de-"

Yue deactivated her transformation, axe kicking Dolores to the ground. Hanako picked up the cause of her sister's suffering by the throat for Zira and Aurora to smash their fists into her face together. The two pummeled her to the ground as she laughed.

"Is that all you two got," enduring more fists while Chris begged for them to stop.

"Did you know she was Vanish," Tristan asked him. "This whole time!?"

"She told me to just dress up like this earlier today. Bae, what's going on?"

"I," blocking the ladies with her feet, "didn't let Chris know about any of this. You're not the only one trying to keep your boyfriend safe, Zira. Babe, I'll have to explain this later."

Zira stopped. "I wonder if it's cuz his brother was the one who helped Alpha Theta order the drinks for their virgin initiation every year he was there? Took his memories of that too?"