Chapter 13: Strength in Sympathy

Lilac heard Vulcan's voice nearby, relieved she was okay, while Syntel wondered why Van was here.

"I see a bunch of bodies coughing around, Aurora tells me people are in danger inside," pointing his thumb at the different EMPs, campus security, and maintenance department worker, "and Zira's in there. Had to at least let someone else know."

"Wait, where's Aurora?" Van jerked around, adamant she was still here when the others arrived outside. Zira was dismayed, but his brain twitched. Aurora was there, Vanish didn't show up, Algor must've escaped, and Vulcan was almost right. This was too much.

Everyone normally functioning was told to leave while the professionals took care of the victims Van found, and Syntel confirmed he was fine. Him and Zira had to prep for their class not too long after, so Van suggested they change in the Science bathroom before others arrived.

"Anyway, how'd it go with Crystal yesterday?"

"Did you do that on purpose? Well our schedules were wonky last semester so we're gonna try to make it more of a thing in the future."

Zira shook off some of the water. "What made it special this time, we always hang out when we can."

Syntel was going to ask what she meant when Van put a finger up to his own lips, mouthing she's not good with getting romance. He got it.

After they finished changing, Syntel and Zira went to their class. His insides were on fire and guilt built up inside his body the more he glanced at her.

"Can I see your hand?" She reluctantly allowed it, and he smacked his face with it. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Well, a lot. If I had been less stupid, scared and stronger, I could've warned you all about the cord faster. Ryan wouldn't haven't gotten hurt, and you were right about the class conversation."

"What's wrong? Do you want to go to the Health Center? You can talk to me."

"Yesterday when I talked about having a good support system, I was speaking from the heart," giving her a quick rundown on his father's treatment and his mother's disappearance. "And I almost messed up my new relationship with my sister."

"Wait, I thought you were an only child. I saw outside my window, was she the person you were running with the other day?

He forgot, combining some half-truths. "My mom had her not too long before me, but she left her too, so I don't know the full details either. When I thought I had a clue, I blew up on her. We talked again, but I'm worried I might make the same mistake. Not just to her, but anyone I could grow close to."

Zira'a  hand hesitated, but slid up his shoulder.

"I know that feeling, like you don't want to open up to people, or well, being afraid no one will listen, but there's someone who'll be there for you." Her tender smile reached him. "You have your sister, you have ARMS now, and you have me."

He took a deep breath. "Okay," recalling the brief moments she used her lips to save his life. "I owe you my life today. Zira, you're awesome."

"Syn," putting her hands to her waist. "Anyone with skills and a heart would've done so. Besides, I know you a bit more than Tristan and Ryan do."

"Even if I didn't know you, something tells me you would've done the same," wrapping his arms around her. "And if there's one thing more beautiful than you, it's your heart," pulling away.

She looked slightly red-faced. "It's nothing really. But it's like you said, some people can grow into monsters, and love should never be used against the ones you have. I don't know if your mom did any form of infidelity, but if you and your sister are on the same page, then I'm sure she has her reasons. I guess I'm lucky to have both parents in my life, aren't I."