- 8 2 -

- A D A M - T H O R N E -

They say to love is to endure. Is this what they meant?

"I can't believe you did that Adam, and to her, of all people. You're such an asshole." Aveline's voice came through the phone while I stared at the television screen in front of me with my mouth agape.

She had called me exactly five minutes ago, telling me to put the news on and on doing as she asked, I was shocked, to say the least.

"And we are reporting to you live from Thorne Industries where Charlie Williams and his son, George Williams have been arrested on accounts of illegal money laundering, blackmail, attempt at murder and assault." The news reporter went on.

"A murder attempt was made on Adam Thorne, the CEO of Thorne Industries and owner of several other multinational over the world and one of the richest men if the time.

"The accident he was in a few months ago turns out, was no accident but an attempt by the father and son duo."

"The victim of the assault was none other than his girlfriend and heiress, Isabelle Edward, who is rumored to have broken up with him after the incident and has moved back to England."

England? Is that where she is?

Wait, assault?

"Ave, did they just say assault?" I repeated the words.

"They did, Adam, please tell me you knew." She pleaded when I closed my eyes.

Shit.

"I didn't." I answered in a clipped tone when she sighed on the other end.

"What on earth happened that day, Adam? Did she not say anything?" She asked and I shook my head, trying hard not to remember that horrid day, but I was once again reminded of her tear-stained face.

"She was crying when she came home." I whispered, closing my eyes in utter frustration.

"The day she was assaulted." Aveline stated and I hummed.

"God, Adam, you're such a-... ugh!." She huffed.

"I need to go." I said and hung up before she could get an other word in, dialing my personal investigator's phone.

"Mr. Thorne." Mark's voice came through the phone.

"Mark, I need all the information on what happened. Everything." I said, giving him the date and day that Isabelle left.

"I need it as soon as possible." I said sternly.

"Of course, sir." He said and I hung up immediately, turning up the volume of the news.

"-... reports say that she was being blackmailed by the Williams and was kept under close watch, and the police department states that they recently received proof anonymously from somewhere in England, that is enough to put the Williams behind bars for a long time."

"Other than that-..." I muted the television, my thoughts running wild as I ran my hands through my hair in frustration, regret seeping through my bones.

What the fuck have I done?

Why the hell didn't I just listen?

And that is how I found myself utterly drunk and intoxicated, back at home after throwing the bottle of whiskey in my hand at the nearest wall because I wasn't getting any answers.

I needed answers.

I needed her.

It had been a good three months, and these have been the worst months of my life, and that's saying something.