Chapter 16

"Kaito, how do you feel about me?"

Kokichi heard Maki's voice before he saw her, but based on what he'd seen of the show, he knew exactly what she was talking about. As awkward as Kaito looked in the situation, it was a fair question.

Kage tried to pull away from Kokichi's hand to go help him, but Kokichi shook his head. This was something it was best for Kaito to deal with alone.

Kaito sighed. "Look, Maki-Roll, I only see you as a friend. And that's all I ever will see you as. I'm sorry."

Maki crossed her arms and frowned. "So that's why you never answered before. You didn't want my last memory of you to be rejecting me."

"Yeah."

Kokichi rolled his eyes and let Kage go. It was like having a puppy on a leash. He figured it was best to stay back for now. Kage was friends with Maki, but she hated him.

Maki sighed but smiled when she saw Kage approach. "Shuichi, how have you been? I'm sorry we couldn't see each other until now. I didn't take the new very well, so they wouldn't let me see anyone."

Kage shook their head. "You don't have to apologize. No one took it well. Um, just to clear things up now, I don't remember anything from Danganronpa, and by extension, I don't really remember you. Kai told me about how close of friends we were, though, so I want to be friends again. If that's okay with you."

Maki shook her head with a small laugh. "Of course that's fine. I'd rather have new memories together than the old ones, personally. So, let's meet up sometime soon."

Kage smiled. "That sounds great. I'm not sure if you, me, and Kai should all hang out at once, though." They admitted sheepishly.

Maki cocked her head to the side. "Why not? Did the two of you have an argument?"

"No, nothing like that." Kage assured her.

"Listen to them, trust me." Kiibo told her.

Maki still looked a bit confused before a look of realization washed over her, and though there was a hint of sadness at first, she smirked. "I see. I'm surprised I didn't notice sooner. No wonder you were always so eager to impress him."

Kage blushed. "Yeah, probably. It's not recent, though."

Kaito nodded. "We've been dating for years. You seem different, by the way."

Maki smiled. "I'm not an assassin. This life is a lot different than the one Danganronpa gave me. I remember it, yes, but I also remember having a loving family and close friends. You can't say you two haven't changed, too."

Kaito laughed. "No, I guess not!"

Kage glanced over at Kokichi, who was standing a bit awkwardly at the doorway still. Miu was busy flirting with Kiibo, and he wanted no part of that.

"So, Maki," Kage started, "You know that some of us have changed a lot from when we were in Danganronpa, right?"

Maki nodded. "Yes, of course. Why?"

Kage gestured Kokichi over, and he hesitated before doing so.

Maki tensed up, glaring at him almost instinctively, but she took a deep breath. "Hello, Ouma-Kun."

"Hey. I'm sorry, so you know, about the things I did and said. That's not how I am." Kokichi avoided eye contact, he felt guilty about a lot of things, outing Maki as an assassin being one.

"It wasn't him doing it." Kage defended. "Danganronpa messed with our emotions and scripted so much that we can't blame anyone for the things they did."