Chapter 20

Based on what he'd seen in the show, Kokichi had figured out that season 53 had actually been Rantaro's second. Meaning that 1) he had the trauma of dying once and seeing everyone around him dying and the pain of being the only one to make it out alive, and 2) he was seriously loaded. He didn't have a mansion by any means, but he lived in one of those nice houses that are in that particular section of every neighborhood that everybody else makes fun of. As long as he wasn't super depressed, Kokichi was definitely going to tease him for it.

At least, that was the plan.

When Rantaro opened the door to greet them, he locked eyes with Kokichi and immediately hugged him. "Kokichi! I was so glad when I heard you were coming, man, I missed you!" He laughed.

Kokichi grinned and hugged him back. "Hi, Amami-Chan! How've you been?"

"I'm alive, that's enough for me." He smiled and invited them in. Seeing who Kokichi had come with, he elbowed him playfully and smirked. "I assume there's no need for me to ask the same. I've watched some of your interviews, and I'm really happy for you."

He turned his attention to Kage and Kaito. "Hey, guys, it's been a while! Kage Ikeda, right? Thanks for looking after him. I know he's a bit of a handful."

Kage waved their hands quickly in front of them. "Oh, please just call me Kage. I-I don't like my last name very much."

Rantaro nodded. "No problem. Just call me Rantaro, then."

"Go ahead and call me Kai, or Kaito, I don't care much which."

"Gotcha. Same goes to you, then. Luckily, Rantaro is my real name, so there's no confusion. Especially having been on the show twice."

"If you don't mind me asking, why were you?" Kage asked. "It wasn't really clear."

Rantaro nodded. "You're good. Short story, though. It was a publicity thing. I was super popular in the first season I did, so they brought me back cause they knew it'd make them a lot of money."

"Why accept?" Kaito questioned.

Rantaro sighed. "I had to. Not cause they forced me, but they made a deal I couldn't refuse. They'd erase all my memories from the previous season, and I'd be the first to go. I was the only survivor, and I was plagued by the guilt and image of so many dead. It had been a couple months since hospital time was done, and it was only getting worse."

Kokichi nodded grimly. "I don't blame you. I wasn't a survivor, but I made it pretty far. If there was a way for me to delete those memories, I might take it too. But I think the so called recovery period would be enough to dissuade me. That was brutal."

The others nodded.

Rantaro put his hands on his hips. "Well, hey, this is a party! Let's not get depressed now. I've got some exciting news, if you want to hear."

"Ooh, yes, please!" Kokichi bounced on his heels. "Tell me tell me tell me!"

Rantaro laughed. "Okay, I will! I'm no longer single."

Kokichi gasped. "Who's the poor soul that got stuck with you?"

Rantaro flicked his forehead lightly. "Don't be rude."

Kokichi rubbed his forehead with a pout while Kaede peaked around the corner and walked over to the group.

"Sorry for not greeting you guys earlier, I was just finishing putting out drinks." She laced her hand with Rantaro's with a tiny smile. "But, ah, his girlfriend is me."

Kage smiled. "I'm happy for you! We told you that you'd find someone soon!"

Kaede laughed. "Yes, and you were right! He'd come to my first show and we talked for a bit after. He gave me his number, and things just went from there! Not having to find a new house was pretty nice, too. It might be moving a bit fast, but we've already moved in together. I've been really happy, though."