26. The Underdogs

Start from the beginning

-

False Symmetry. The so-called PvP queen of Hermitcraft. While she was greatly respected by her hermits, it was a different world outside. But she was surprised by how many people supported her during her failed 1v3.

Sometimes it felt like people regarded her team as "H, Fruit, and the others". And now "H, Fruit, and the hermits". Even within the hermit group, she was always with Ren, and hence people viewed them as a two in one package (which would make Herman Blur lose his tiny little mind when the so-called divorce arc happened, but that happened much later).

But when the conditions for a potential 1v3 emerged, people were cheering for her specifically.

Of course she had friends from other teams. The Pink Parrots. Pearl. Pete. Even people she knew vaguely like Kara and Quig. But she garnered support from people she never knew about, people she'd never spoken to. Heck, even Technoblade wanted her to 1v3. It was a little scary to take the centerstage, but at least people were seriously considering her as a Dodgebolt player.

She wasn't just False the hermit, False a member of 3-H, False the Championship player whose teams always placed in the bottom half. She was False, a member of the Blue Bats. She was False, a Dodgebolt player. Even folks who had never heard of her would know her now.

Sure, she might've failed the 1v3. 1v3s were never easy to achieve— even Fruit couldn't do it. But False was now exposed to the cheering crowd of the spectators. People could look her in the eye, acknowledge her efforts, and support her in Dodgebolt.

And to False, that was already part of her victory.

-

Who would've thought that he'd be the one to set the west in flames

Then heard him wreckin' with The Crystal Method, Name Of The Game

-

Fruitberries. One of the Green Gods, one of Technoblade's teachers, but not a S-tier yet.

Fruit was nervous. He couldn't help it.

He'd won in the 6th Championship, but didn't get a very good rank afterwards, he skipped one MCC, and now suddenly he was in Dodgebolt. And he was expected to "carry" his team.

Maybe his performance in Dodgebolt wasn't the best. Yes, he did get some kills, but he died in a stupid way and he made a stupid shot. And the Blue Bats hadn't even won one round of Dodgebolt yet. Surely this wouldn't eventually lead to some sort of Fruitninja curse in which they were fated to lose their Dodgebolts!

Fruit knew he was mechanically skilled, was good at PvP, and was good at trapping. The extent of his strength was only made more obvious by his insane amount of kills in Survival Games and the fact that he'd gotten first individual. Surely people would acknowledge him now. And really, was his dominance really that unexpected? He had ranked 5th, then 14th, and now 1st. An admirable trajectory for someone who'd only been in three Championships.

Fruit thought his performance this time was pretty sweet, and a lot of his friends were impressed as well. Even if the Blue Bats didn't win Dodgebolt, at least he would have that.

But of course, Fruit didn't want to lose Dodgebolt.

What happened earlier was a fluke. A warm up. Fruit knew he could do better.

And so he would.

-

Nobody really knows how or why he works so hard