Chapter Fourteen: A Point Where It Tips

"Professor Oobleck?" Weiss asked.

"Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary students." Oobleck stated. "Seeing as you've opted to shadow a Huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission, I can assure you we will not be establishing a single base of operations. Rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland, and making camp in any defendable location we stumble upon. I've packed all the essentials myself, provided the air course, and readied the ship. And!"

There was a pause, before he was suddenly in Weiss' face.

"It's Dr. Oobleck." He added. "I didn't earn a PhD for fun, thank you very much."

"Uhh..." Weiss muttered now thoroughly confused as she and Blake shared a weirded out glance.

"Come now children." Oobleck urged impatiently. "According to my schedule we are already three minutes behind, schedule."

Oobleck suddenly zoomed across the path to the airship, leaving a very confused and slightly dazed Team RWBY in the dust as he waited for them to catch up.

"He gives Ruby a run for her money when it comes to impatience." Silver remarked.

"Well alright then." Ruby said. "Looks like we're going to save the world with Dr. Oobleck okay yeah when you say it out loud it sounds worse..."

"Save the world!?" Nora exclaimed behind them. "You're going on world-saving missions without us!? I'm hurt and sad! Maybe a little hungry? That last one's not my fault though, Ren."

"Sounds exciting." Jaune added. "Where are ya going?"

"Just outside the Kingdom." Silver replied.

"Hey! So are we." Nora said excitedly.

"Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village." Pyrrha added.

"We set out tomorrow." Ren said.

"Then you can party with us, tonight." Neptune replied, as he and Sun joined the conversation. "We're shadowing a crime specialist. All inner-city detective stuff. We get junior badges."

Jaune looked so enamored that one could practically see and hear the sparkles floating around him.

"We normally go to the city with you guys, which means stuff's always exploding and junk." Sun said. "So we thought this might be a better way to check out the kingdom when it's y'know, normal."

"Eh, normal's boring." Silver said with a shrug. "I'm pretty sure you'll get tired of the normal city life and then bitch about it when we get back."

"Eh, maybe." Sun replied with a shrug of his own. "I'll be sure to bitch about it to you seeing as you're a good listener."

"Are you making a pass at me, Sun?" Silver asked, everyone present picking up on the teasing tone in his voice.

"Uhhh..." Sun replied, a bit surprised at Silver's insinuation. "I uhh, I-I... Did not know you swung that way, Silver."

"I swing both ways." Silver replied nonchalantly. "But you should see your face right now. I was just messing with you, Sun. Can't wait to hear all about your junior detective stuff."

"Well-" Ruby began.

"Four minutes, children!" Oobleck shouted in the distance.

There was an awkward silence for a moment.

"Well, uh... Wish us luck." Ruby said.

The group of friends separated and Team RWBY headed for the airship that Oobleck was waiting for them on.