Forty-Four: The Spear

It had been quite a struggle, but Evan had gotten Midnight into his car after they swapped the stories of their failed first loves and betrayals

It had been quite a struggle, but Evan had gotten Midnight into his car after they swapped the stories of their failed first loves and betrayals. Luna had argued at first, though she hastily changed her mind once she remembered Evan could heal all his wounds. They had unanimously agreed that Midnight should stay away from the public eye for a while, working in the shadows as they plotted against their enemies, and the Alexavier family needed someone to take the reigns and guide them in these dark times. They had funerals to arrange, allies they needed to contact, and extended family they had to warn. The full moon was just a week away, and the danger looming over them was ignored for the time being since they had bigger things to deal with.

"You need to talk to Cowen. You can't keep pushing off the inevitable, and the more you wait, the worse it'll be. I'm sure he had his reasons for not telling you about Karsten. We're going to need the pack's support against Obsidian since this is their fight as well. I'm not asking you to kiss Cowen's ass but hear what he has to say first before you lose your temper." Midnight sat behind the wheel, fully healed and eyes filled with a darkness that hadn't left him since he'd woken up from his surgery. Today it turned his eyes dark, gunmetal gray color, and Evan found himself wondering how his mate was connected to the archangel of death. The werewolf was pleased to see his mate healthy and strong once more, dressed in his usual clothing and his silver piercings shining in a familiar manner that eased some of Evan's anxiety. "I called Bane, and she's meeting us halfway to the manor. I'll be going with her, and you'll be going to the Lodge to speak with Cowen. The last thing I want is for us to separate, but we'll get more done that way. We're running out of time, and we're severely underprepared to deal with another attack."

Evan nodded along to his words; he knew his mate was right and that Obsidian would arrive at Rikone any day now. "What about the Commander? Should we warn him about Obsidian and that he has the spear?"

"The question isn't whether he knows. The asshole probably knows everything by now." Midnight rolled his eyes, sucking his teeth in disgust at the mention of the Commander. "It's a matter of whether he'll help us or not. He's a morbidly curious fucker who likes playing mind games, and now that we know he's a werewolf, he'll probably be less inclined to help us."