5. Family Game Night

Start from the beginning

"We gave you one job," I started, as calmly as I could.

"The easiest job," Minho added.

Jisung frowned. "And we did it, what's the problem?"

It was in that moment that Changbin walked into the room, headphones perched and blasting music on his head with one side over his ear and one not, and let out a long stream of curses.

"YA! WHY IS THERE BATTER ALL OVER MY KITCHEN?!?!"

There was batter on every cabinet, counter, and even some on the ceiling. The two boys in front of us also had a good amount of batter across their aprons. Hyunjin had a large stripe from his cheekbone to the corner of his mouth.

Changbin's eyes narrowed. "What. Happened."

"We just had a few difficulties—" the two flinched at our looks "—and, maybe, a teeny tiny disagreement?"

"Get out the kitchen."

"But we made pancakes—"

"Out."

The two boys frowned as they slowly walked out from behind the counter and collapsed onto the couch in the living room. I let out a sigh at the ruined kitchen, placing down the shopping bag of toppings  I had been holding.

"Are they not going to help us clean up?" Minho questioned, getting his many complaints ready.

"Are you kidding?" Changbin said. "Knowing them, they might make an even worse mess!"

Neither Minho or I could say anything to that. When Jisung and Hyunjin were together, they shared one braincell between them, and that braincell is fighting for second place.

I looked over at Minho beside me, who had his eyes narrowed and trained on the plate of pancakes on the counter.

"I don't trust them," he said.

He reached forward, grabbed a pancake, and bit into it.

And then gagged.

"It feels like I'm eating the ocean," he said, having spit out Jisung and Hyunjin's failed creation in the trash can. "This is awful. What did you idiots do??"

Silence. And then, "Hyunjin, I told you that was salt!"

"It looked like sugar!"

I made eye contact with Minho, realizing that not only would we have to clean this entire mess, we would have to completely start over.

"This sucks."

- - _ - - _ - - _ - - _ --  _ - - _ - - _ - - _ - -

     "I will never trust them in a kitchen again."

     I hummed at Minho's words, moving the last pancake from the frying pan to the plate. After spending a half hour getting the kitchen clean so Chan and Changbin wouldn't get bugs, and then another twenty or so minutes to remake the food, I know they would be banned from my kitchen. They'd be lucky if Minho let them put a toe into his entire cafe.

     I placed the hot pan in the sink, turning on the water so it sizzled and steamed before cooling down the metal. I left it sitting there, not feeling up to cleaning it right now.

     "How long until swim practice ends?" Minho asked, wiping his hand on a towel.

     "I think it already ended, they should be here soon." I paused as a loud scream followed by laughter came from the living room. "Should we join them?"