twenty

he says he's new at this

—06/30/21—

real life

"Are you going to answer him back? its been ten days." Lauren asked Callie as they walked through the aisles of their walmart.

"Eventually." She shrugged, grabbed a box of confetti cake mix and putting it in the cart. "Why are we here again?"

Lauren gave her a pointed look before rolling her eyes and sighing, "We're getting stuff for the fourth of July thing."

"Oh, right." Callie said, picking up a random item before putting it back down.

"Do you even care about him?"

"So, here's what's funny. You yelled at me when I tried to butt in on you and Nick. Now do you want that same fate or do you want to come to the conclusion that I'm going to lose my shit on you, on your own." Callie said, tone symbolizing she's had enough of people meddling in her life.

"Alright, alright." Lauren said, rolling her eyes. "I just think that-"

"Lauren." Callie said, throwing out her last warning to just shut the fuck up before they made a scene in walmart.

"Fine, whatever." Lauren said, dropping the topic as they moved aisles.

"So what all do we have to get?" Callie asked after the silence had become normal between them.

"Oh my god." Lauren groaned with a laugh.

"What? I wasn't paying attention." Callie laughed.

...

The girls carried the bags of groceries into the house and when they reached the kitchen, Nick and Clay were standing there with their arms crossed. Lauren started vigorously shaking her head while Callie just moved past them, not saying a word.

"So, have you talked to Alex?" Nick asked. Lauren slapped her forehead and the noise rang out throughout the now silent room.

"Such a fucking idiot." Lauren muttered under her breath. She moved between them and set the bags on the counter.

"Hello? Are you going to say anything?" Nick said, pushing the topic a bit more. Callie could feel tears start to form as her throat started to burn. Still, she stayed silent, unpacking the bags.

"Cal?" Clay asked, tone soft but Callie knew his intentions.

Callie cleared her throat before speaking. "I'm not talking about it." Despite clearing her throat, her voice still came out strained.

"And you don't have to." Lauren said, glaring at the boys and rubbing a hand up and down her back. Callie gave a half smile and continued unpacking the groceries.

"No, she does. This isn't right! He did nothing wrong here!" Clay said, tome changing from the soft one he previously had.

"I'm not doing this." Callie said, pulling her hands back from the bag she was working on and taking a deep breath. She walked past the boys and started back to her room.

"You have to! What you're doing is wrong!" Clay yelled again.

"Dude." Nick said. He could tell how much it was getting to Callie and knew to lay off.

"No! We deserve-"

"You deserve shit! This is my relationship! This is between me and Alex! Me and Alex only, Clay! You don't deserve any information on this!"