prologue

i just can't come between 'em, they got their own thing

—3/30/21—

real life

Staring at the stars in the middle of the road with country music playing in the background felt different without Lauren. She'd done it countless times prior, but this time she couldn't shake how different things had been feeling recently.

Her and her mom had been fighting relentlessly. Her and her ex situationship just ended things for good a week prior. While she knew it was just a situationship, the whole thing still ended up hitting her harder than expected. The cake topper was finally realizing she'd never see her dogs again.

So that's why tonight when she was gazing up at the sky, tears were slipping down the sides of her face as her eyes burned with more unshed tears. The sadness felt overbearing and never ending.

She knew Lauren was on her way with Clay, she knew that they would show up at the worst of times, she just didn't expect it to be at three in the morning in the middle of her breakdown. They came from the hotel, Callie got the message when her music was interrupted. She knew Lauren just had the feeling she wasn't okay, but she just didn't really care about much anymore, that was all.

Callie heard Lauren get out of the car, heard the crunching of the cold grass beneath her, heard the breathing of a body laying next to her. Callie knew Lauren was right beside her, but she never moved an inch. Lauren didn't mind, she just laid and stared up with her. Lauren did, however, break the silence growing between them.

"You can see the whole milky way from here." Lauren whispered, pointing up at the sky.

"Yeah, you can. Look, there's the big dipper." Callie said, the familiarity settling in and taking away some of her pain.

"I missed this." Lauren whispered. Callie didnt need to look over to know there was a smile across her face.

"Yeah, me too." Callie stated with a shaky laugh.

"We're gonna be okay, Cal."

"Are we?"

"I think so. I think we're both gonna be just fine." Lauren said, tapping her knuckles against the fabric if her hoodie. "All of the stars have a reason, and so do we. We just have to figure it out."

"Come on Clay, stop just standing there like an idiot." Callie sighed, glancing up at him through her eyelashes. He sighed too, laying down on the other side of Callie.

"I promise you, everything will work out like it's supposed to." Clay whispered. She felt sort safe, surrounded by her friends and the stars.

She was uncertain if it would last though.