Chapter 8: Maybe it does.?

//Jean's POV//

I watched her from across the room standing up to throw away the food she didn't finish and leave quietly without saying anything to anyone. I looked around at the people near me. They didn't really seem to notice her leaving or didnt mind if they did see. I waited a minute or two before following, taking my tray to the bin before walking briskly out the door to find Y/n.

It didn't take long, she stood by the wire fence that separated the cabins from the training fields, staring out into the open plataue. It was nicer at night time.

I walked up behind her, my footsteps crunching on small pebbles and dirt grains. She turned around and smiled a seemingly fake smile. "Hey," came from her lips as she turned back around to continue gazing at the sky.

"Hey. I uh- I saw you come out here alone..," I mumbled. "Are you okay.?"

I tried my best to sound concerned and not nervous. God you're so gorgeous.

She turned around quick and started at me confused and wide eyed. "What did you just say?"

I looked back kinda panicked, the same wide eyed expression adorned my face. I put a hand behind my head and looked at the space between us on the ground. "I-i uh, didn't mean to say that out loud I'm sorry.. you probably don't wanna hear that from me you kn-"

"You think I'm pretty?" I looked up at her, she was smiling, being obviously jokingly flirtatious, batting her eyes and twirling her hair sarcastically. Maybe she was blushing? It was too dark to tell.

"I-.. yeah, you are" I blushed and looked down again, peeking at her from the corner of my eye. She took one of my hands in hers, looking at it more than holding it, before saying, "well, horse-face, I think you're pretty too." She looked at me again and smiled. She dropped my hand and jogged towards her cabin, turning around to see my face, all red and dumbfounded. She giggled then continued on her way to her bed.

// Y/n's POV //

I jogged back to my cabin, I felt lightheaded but in a good way. I made my way in, jumping into my bed on the top bunk. I felt my face getting hot replaying his words in my head again.
"Are you okay.... God you're gorgeous.."
I shoved my face in my pillow, squealing like a girl, telling myself that Im just excited because someone said that to me, not that it was Jean. Right? Right.

Just as I composed myself all the girls walked in chattering about their day and recent events. Eventually Annie noticed me, she was standing in the closed doorway after all the women entered.
"Hey."

"Hey Annie, 'sup," I replied. She shrugged and climbed up next to me in a sitting position, both our feet dangling off the edge. "Nun much. I mean really nothing to do in this shit hole."

I thought about it for a minute. I thought about Annie. I never really heard why she wanted to join the corps, or what's drives her to be how she is.

"Um, Annie, I never really heard about how you decided to join the 104th. Why are you here?" I saw her side-eye the door, almost like making an escape plan, before closing her eyes and sighing. She looked me in my eyes.

"My dad. Well, not really Dad, but something like that. He raised me pretty much. Taught me to fight, how to fend for myself you know. Well he wasn't doing great the last time we spoke. I wasnt being a great daughter either. Our last words together was a fight before I left to join. And now I can't go back until I'm done, even if I wanted to. Is that a good enough answer," the last part was more of a statement than a question.

She jumped down and made her way to her bed under mine, and I rolled over and closed my eyes thinking about Annie, about Jean, about my dad. Eventually I fell asleep.

A/n

So I'm back and apparently haven't gotten the hang of long chapters yet but I'm trying 😭

Hope you guys like it and I'm so sorry for the lack of updates I missed y'all here !! :)