Chapter 1: Another One Bites the Dust

Reader's PoV:

Anger bubbled in my veins as images of Jean fucking Kirstein entered my mind. I kicked at my sparring partner harder, putting more effort into my training. 

"AaAhHgGh- Y/n! Why are you hitting me so harrddd," Connie whined at me through his blocking stance on the ground. That slowed me down a little, paying more attention to the fact that I was only beating up my friend. 

"O-oh. Ehheh, sorry Connie, lemme help you up." I held out my hand for him to grab, pulling him up with my strength. I searched him for any bruises or cuts, but he seemed fine. Realizing that I felt eyes watching me I turned around, scanning my surroundings. No way I'd be able to tell in this sea of comrades. But then my eyes landed on a certain sand blonde. I internally sneered and went to go discuss some things with the commandant.

--

3rd Person PoV:

He was watching the way her hips would sway, the way her hair would flow, the way her eyes would sparkle. He was mesmerized  by just her. She was perfect to him. But word goes she likes some cadet from the 104th. Besides, if anything, he blew it starting a fight with her yesterday. That's how it always goes. Knocked out of his trance by a blow to the face, he quickly turned his head and glared at his partner. 

"Coulda given me a warning before you go and hit me like tha-" Marco delivered another kick to the chest harshly. 

Marco smiled apologetically, raising his fists. "The real world wont give you a warning, so why should I?" Kirstein smirked at his friend's thorough thought process. 

"Well then neither should-" he threw his fist out, only for it to be caught. "I?"

Another smile was thrown out by Marco as his fist connected with Jean's nose.

--

Training went on for another hour, running laps, sparring, switching partners and so on, all the way until dinner time. A bell sounded over the training fields, signaling everyone to head to the mess hall. 'Finally.. A hot meal.' It wasn't like it was good food, not even close, but it was a hot meal at the end of the day and that really made the difference. Grabbing her tray of food, Y/n found her way through the sea of people and plopped her food down beside her black haired friend. 

"Wow, rarely ever do you sit here. What's up Y/n?" Marco Bodt offered her a smile brighter than the sun. She returned one as best she could, exhausted from the whole day's training.  

"No horse-face? That's a new one. At least that means I can sit here without -" There was a clatter from across the two, causing the both to look up abruptly. Y/n's eyes narrowed with malice. "Jean."

He seemed to have only just now noticed the h/c girl sitting next to Marco. He closed his eyes in frustration, bringing a hand to the bridge of his nose. 

"Seems everywhere I go, you're there too." The girl just snorted. 

"Well after you do something, like, I don't know, pick a fight with a person, you tend to notice them around a little more, wouldn't ya think?" 

"Guys, guys, we're just eating dinner, no need to get harsh with our words, r-right Jean?" Marco was struggling to keep the peace between the two, just wishing for a normal dinner. Noticing Marco's growing discomfort, Y/n finally made an effort to calm her nerves and actually sit down to dinner with the horse faced jerk. It was quiet at that table. Everyone was eating their dinner happily, dinner chat circling the room. 

"So how's that bruise feel?" 

"Oh you little-"

"GUYS." Marco stood suddenly, his hands making a loud sound as they collided with the table. That caught everyone's attention. Everybody stared in confusion at the three sitting down there. Marco was breathing a little heavy. 

"H-hey, Marco, wanna go outside for some air. It's pretty stuffy in here." Y/n was trying her best to be considerate. He opened his mouth to reply, but Jean just had to butt in. 

"No, no he doesn't. It's perfectly fine in here. Marco, siddown, you're making a scene ya big baby." That seemed to've peaked Y/n's anger for the day, as she finally snapped at the blonde. She whirled around, her finger pointing accusingly at Jean.

"You! You, c'mere-" She grabbed him up by the collar of his shirt, dragging him out to the front of the mess hall. She threw him to the hard dirt. He stumbled a few steps before catching his ground.

"Right here. Right now. You 'n me. No one to stop us. Come at me." Y/n stepped into her fighting stance. He growled, his eyes narrowed at her words. 

"And why should I fight you, a girl?"

"What, ya scared you're gonna loose like last time?" She really knew how to get a guys blood pumping, and not necessarily in a good way if you know what I mean.

"Of course not. If anything I'd be afraid to hurt ya, but all caution's been thrown to the wind at this point." 

"Good," she smiled before running quickly out of his line of sight. Either behind him or above him. Jean turned around quickly, not getting caught off guard with the same trick twice. She was about to hit him, but he moved his head. Her fist punched the air where his head had been mere milliseconds before. He grabbed her wrist, planted his left foot, and swung his stance, taking her with him. Y/n's back hit the ground, knocking the air out of her lungs. His hand was pressing on her chest, his other wrapped around her wrist. She glared at him from her position beneath him. With her opposite hand she landed a hit to his cheek, taking him by surprise. She used the moment that he was off his guard to grab the hand on her chest and pull it, pulling her other hand free. She scurried to her feet, once again in her all too familiar fighting stance. 

"Not this again.. You just never give up do you?" She looked at him, tears brimming her eyes.

"Never," she whispered. "I'll never give up," she said a little louder. 

--

A/N Soo, how'd you guys like that chapter? Just a little over a thousand words. Not a lot, I know, but I'm planning to make longer chapters in the future, so just bear with me here. 

Okay, so a little detail on Y/n's backstory. Her father was killed while she was away and when she came back, she found him. His last words to her was for her to never give up, no matter what the cost. Even if it seemed insignificant, her drive is all she had left. And she uses it to get through a lot. I'll make a backstory chapter eventually. All that stuff will be in there. I can't wait! Okay.

Till next time! 

Loki~