Chapter 2: Switch!

[edited 5/19/23]

Y/n's PoV: 

A small yawn escaped my mouth, curling into the thin sheet further, ignoring the light peeking through my eyelids. 'It's only just dawn, what's a little more sleep?' Unfortunately for me, the gods of the universe declined my wish of rest. 

"Y/n, get up." I groaned but lay still.

"Y/n. Y/n-" the person started shaking me.

"Y/n I said-" 

"You gotta do it like this. Ahem-"

"WAKE UP Y/NNNN!!!"

"AAAH! IM AWAKE IM AWAKE DONT KILL ME SHADIS!" I shot to my feet, quickly saluting, then slowly realized that Instructor Shadis was no where to be seen. Where he should've been stood a smiley Ymir next to Krista, Mikasa, and Sasha. A few of the other girls like Hana, Mina and Annie took their leave towards the mess hall only a few minutes ago. I sighed in relief. Whatever they gave me was ten times better than anything that damned instructor had up his sleeve. I quirked an eyebrow, then just let it go.

"At least you guys aren't Shadis.." I mumbled. Ymir just snickered while Krista jabbed her with her elbow lightly, scolding her. I rolled my eyes and chuckled, slipping my uniform on. Today was hand-to-hand with prop knives and rifles. I wasn't gonna lie, I was exited to fight anyone. If anyone had the skills, it was I. Growing up harshly brought upon a short childhood, pretty much forcing me to grow up as soon as possible. I had to learn to fend for myself in this cruel world. It had it's ups and downs. Mostly downs, but I always managed to find a small light in the overwhelming darkness.

On that depressing note, lets move on. 

--

In the Mess Hall

--

"What did you just say to me, Horse-Face?!" 

"You heard me, Suicidal Maniac!" 

"If I'm a suicidal maniac then what does that make you, hUh, hOrse face!?"

"It makes me sensible you jackass! At least I know how to keep myself-" He raced forward, kneeing Eren in the stomach. "Alive!" Eren coughed, saliva spewing from his maw.

He quickly focused himself, throwing a fist at Jean. It landed on his left eye, already turning red from the impact. I didn't think much of the scene, thinking about how they're both idiotic jackasses. 'why fight over the title if I can give it to them both.' I snorted at my internal dialogue, shoving my spoon into the cold gruel before me. I slid my tray away, un-appetized. I lied my head inbetween my folded arms that rested on the table and started to think about training, who I'd be partnered with.

It switches multiple times in a day, so obviously more than one person. 'Annie's pretty quiet.. wonder what she'd be like on the field.' She seems like a challenge. One I'd accept without a doubt, of course. I then looked up, glancing at the scene in front of me. Mikasa was breaking up the fight, shoving Jean of of Eren, then scolding him in front of everybody like a mother. I sighed, but allowed myself to smile. I wonder what It'd be like to fight Eren. He's stubborn and headstrong, no doubt a fighter. I looked to Jean. He had a lean, muscular build, matching his height and facial structure well, no doubt a tough fighter. He seemed familiar, like I'd seen him before, in a dream maybe. I shook off the odd feeling, turning my head away. The familiar sound of the loud copper bell that sounds echoed into the morning sky. 

--

Everyone was lined up outside waiting for orders from Instructor Keith Shadis. Seems he wasn't a morning person either. He yawned and grumbled a few unintelligible sentences before clearing his throat. 

"All right you maggots. Yesterday I told you lazy eyed, dirt eatin', mud munchers you'd be sparring with wooden knife and rifle props! Well." He eyed the class, an unusual mischievous glint in his eyes. "I lied," Shadis said smugly, smirking just slightly. The cadets were obviously confused. I was as well, wondering what he had planned instead. 

"Instead, you usless sacks of shit are gonna be starting your Omni-Directional Maneuver Gear training, or ODM training!" Oh wow, a good twist for once. I smirked at myself. I got this in the bag. It's just balance, right? 

--

I was waiting for my turn on the ODM rig, watching others either fail miserably or actually get the hang of it, haha, see what I did there-

Anyway, I watched how composed Mikasa was, letting herself hang loosely from the maneuvering rig. I glanced around, looking at others and how they did it to get a visual feel for it myself before actually doing it. I saw Jean, he looked happy, proud with himself. I just scoffed. 'Just one step closer to that selfish dream a' yours..' I snapped back to reality when it was my turn on the rig. I was next to Eren. We were starting at about the same time. As the rig lifted and my feet rose off the floor, I heard a shriek from my right. I quickly turned my head just in time to see Eren flipp upside down, making me smile a little.

I stared at the scene for a few seconds before blinking. 'Wait.. I-' I looked down, confirming my slight suspicion. 'I'm doing it! I'm really doing it!' I grinned to myself as the instructor had me lowered. One step closer to my slightly less selfish goal. Saving humanity. 

I glared at absolutely nothing and no one with a determined look on my face. 'I will kill every titan that ever was on this land.'

And with that, the screen turned black. Well, at least the screen in your hand- 

lmao

A/n

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and the little bit of humor at the bottom, hehe *scratches neck nervously* Anyway!

Working on the next update right away! Man, balancing high school, chores, home life, writing, it's a toughie. Hope you guys like this, again, heh, and thank you for reading! ^^