𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

Start from the beginning

"Yes," she said, snapping her gaze back to Amarantha. "Yes, I do."

"Well, Tamlin," she said, putting a proprietary hand on his arm, "I dont suppose you ever expected this to occur. What do you have to say, High Lord?"

"I've never seen her before. Someone must have glamoured her as a joke. Probably Rhysand," Tamlin said.

"Oh, thats not even a halfway decent lie." Amarantha angled her head. "Could it be—could it be that you, despite your words so many years ago, return the humans feelings? A girl with hate in her heart for our kind has managed to fall in love with a faerie. And a faerie whose father once slaughtered the human masses by my side has actually fallen in love with her, too? Oh, this is too good—this is too fun."

       She fingered the bone hanging from her necklace and looked at the encased eye upon her hand. "I suppose if anyone can appreciate the moment, she said to the ring, it would be you, Jurian." She smiled prettily. "A pity your human whore on the side never bothered to save you, though. Killing you outright, human, would be dull. But Fate stirs the Cauldron in strange ways. Perhaps my darling Clare had to die in order for me to have some true amusement with you."

"You came to claim Tamlin?" Amarantha said—it wasnt a question, but a challenge. "Well, as it happens, Im bored to tears of his sullen silence. I was worried when he didnt flinch while I played with darling Clare, when he didnt even show those lovely claws. But Ill make a bargain with you, human. You complete three tasks of my choosing—three tasks to prove how deep that human sense of loyalty and love runs, and Tamlin is yours. Just three little challenges to prove your dedication, to prove to me, to darling Jurian, that your kind can indeed love true, and you can have your High Lord." She turned to Tamlin. "Consider it a favor, High Lord—these human dogs can make our kind so lust-blind that we lose all common sense. Better for you to see her true nature now."

"I want his curse broken, too," Feyre blurted. "I complete all three of your tasks, and his curse is broken, and we—and all his court—can leave here. And remain free forever."

"Of course," Amarantha purred. "I'll throw in another element, if you dont mind—just to see if youre worthy of one of our kind, if youre smart enough to deserve him. Ill give you a way out. Youll complete all the tasks—or, when you cant stand it anymore, all you have to do is answer one question. A riddle. You solve the riddle, and his curse will be broken. Instantaneously. I wont even need to lift my finger and he'll be free. Say the right answer, and hes yours. You can answer it at any time—but if you answer incorrectly."

"And what if I fail your tasks?"

"If you fail a task, there wont be anything left of you for me to play with."

"What is the nature of my tasks?"

"Oh, revealing that would take all the fun out of it. But Ill tell you that youll have one task every month—at the full moon."

"And in the meantime?"

"In the meantime," Amarantha said a bit sharply, "you shall either remain in your cell or do whatever additional work I require."

"If you run me ragged, wont that put me at a disadvantage?"

"Nothing beyond basic housework. Its only fair for you to earn your keep. Then we are agreed."

"If I complete your three tasks or solve your riddle, youll do as I request?"

"Of course," Amarantha said. "Is it agreed?"

"Agreed."

     Amarantha gave her a small, horrible smile, and magic sizzled in the air between them as she snapped her fingers. She nestled back in her throne.

"Give her a greeting worthy of my hall," she said.

     I winced as the Attor began beating her bloody. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling Amarantha's grip on my hair yet again.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I shivered that night in my cell, trying to fall asleep on the cold, hard ground. The pain from my previous lashings didn't help.

     The cell reminded me too much of the one I'd spent eleven years of my childhood in. I hated going back to that place--hated those awful memories.

The door to my cell creaked open and I shot upright on the floor. I let out a sigh of relief. Rhys had been visiting me every night. I wasn't sure how he managed it, but I was grateful.

     Amarantha was well aware of how close Rhys and I were. Practically brother and sister. I was sure she was using me to torture him.

"Do you need help?" Rhys asked me.

      He knelt beside me, and I sighed with a nod. I lifted my shirt, showing the welts on my stomach. He healed them, and relief coursed through me.

"Thank you," I intoned. "I miss being able to heal myself."

"Well, if this girl completes these trials, you'll be able to again," he pointed out. I nodded, considering it.

"You really think she can do it?" I wondered, my head tilting to the side.

"I do."

A thought occurred to me--one that made my stomach turn. I brought my knees to my chest before I dared to ask.

"What are her plans with me?" I asked nervously, biting down on my bottom lip.

"What?"

"What is she going to do with me?" I rephrased. "Is she just going to keep me down here forever?"

He stared at me for a bit too long. I met his eyes, and immediately felt a sense of dread overtaking me.

"She thinks having more Illyrians on her side would be beneficial," he said slowly. I narrowed my eyes, unsure of what he was saying. "Astraea--"

"Just tell me."

"She wants to use you for breeding."

      My eyes went wide, a lump rising in my throat. I stared at him, unable to handle the anger, fear, and sorrow that was overtaking me.

"I won't let it happen, though," he promised me. I couldn't bring myself to speak. "Astraea, I mean it."

"Get out," I whispered.

"Raea--"

"Get out!"

He wouldn't see me cry. Even though he'd watched me break down a million times, I wouldn't allow him to see it now.

Rhysand sighed, staring at me for a second before leaving the cell. I waited until he was gone before I burst into sobs.

      I'd escaped a breeding camp when I was sixteen. His mother, Lady Iridessa, had saved me. I had promised myself I'd never let another male touch me like that again.