"Enoch."

"Hm?"

"You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You're torturing me."

Then Enoch raised his head for a moment and laughed. The tired, terribly low-pitched laughter was rather sexy.

"Margaret."

"Yes?"

"Are you nervous?"

He asked me as if teasing me.

"Are you teasing me now?"

"I guess now you know."

He leaned his forehead on my shoulder and laughed again.

'Ha, damn it. Why does it feel good to be teased? I guess I'm finally crazy.'

***

I was suddenly excited and nervous about Enoch's actions for a while, then I fell into a deep sleep without me realizing it.

The day before, I had stayed up all night at Jenas' cabin, and I think that my tensions were completely relieved after meeting Enoch, so I fell asleep in an uncomfortable position.

Then, suddenly, I opened my eyes. It's because I sensed a strange presence somewhere.

I saw something moving in my field of vision. To be precise, a huge group was passing under the tree where Enoch and I were sitting.

I flinched in surprise. Even with that small movement, Enoch immediately opened his eyes.

"They seem to be the evolved monsters that Lord and I encountered," Enoch whispered quietly.

It seems like the monsters in the novel I remember—and the ones I've met so far—were created by taking samples of ordinary animals on the earth I used to live in, but those monsters with strange shapes are hard to recognize now.

Some look like two-legged giant fish, some look like caterpillars and slithered around, and some look like big-headed aliens walking on two legs.

They all seem to have originated in some animals and their forms are horribly deformed.

Even though it was dawn, they were strolling through the forest without difficulty.

'It gives me goosebumps.'

If I fall from here, I'll become their meal.

"It's okay."

At that moment, Enoch's peaceful voice rang out.

"You're not alone, so you'll be fine."

Certainly, if Enoch made up his mind to fight, he could somehow get rid of those monsters or run away even if he couldn't wipe them out.

I couldn't see his face, but he gave me so much relief with just his voice.

Eunji, who had been sleeping peacefully on the branch, opened his eyes and looked at me.

He looked down, then looked at me, then looked down again and looked at me. It seems he asked me to explain the situation. I shook my head, saying I don't know.

He waggled his tail and looked down curiously. I held on tight to his torso, fearing that he would fall.

We sat up in the tree holding our breath for a long time until the monsters were all out of sight.

After the monsters completely disappeared, the tension was relieved. I sighed, still in Enoch's arms.

"Haa. If I wasn't up in the tree, I would be in big trouble."