Chapter Forty-Eight

The smell of homemade breakfast filled my nose, causing my eyes to shoot open and drool to pool at the corners of my mouth. Faint sounds of humming filled my ears, a smile forming onto my lips. I moved my hands and realized they were holding something.. soft? I glanced down and saw a cute blue teddy bear tucked neatly into my arms and a red fuzzy blanket wrapped around me. I felt my heart throb, Wally must have done this to make sure I was still comfortable when he got up. I gently sat up, hugging the bear close to me and inhaling Wally's apple scent that lingered in its fur. I swung my legs over the side of the couch, moving the red blanket off of me and standing. I made my way over to the kitchen, peeking in and giggling childishly as Wally swayed his hips to his own humming in front of the stove.

"I didn't know you could move like that." I said teasingly.

Wally quickly turned around, his face flushing a bright pink from embarrassment. He held a spatula in one gloved hand and a plate with staked pancakes in the other.

"Oh! I didn't think you'd be awake so soon.. here, have a seat, darling! Breakfast will be done shortly!" He said sweetly, turning back to the stove and flipping another pancake.

I looked down at the dining table and noticed a chair had already been pulled out for me with a napkin and utensils. I love this man, I thought to myself happily as I sat down. I folded the napkin over my lap and rested my hand in my palm, watching Wally hum and flip the last pancake onto the stack.

"Here we go! How many would you like?" He exclaimed, turning back to me.

Wally made his way over, holding the pancake plate with one hand and resting the other on my shoulder.

"Oh.. maybe two?" I said, watching as he gently placed them onto my small blue plate.

I swallowed all of the drool in my mouth, watching intently as Wally placed a little bit of butter onto my pancakes and set a syrup bottle next to me. I dug right in, having not eaten since yesterday morning. I heard Wally snicker behind me and glanced over, noticing him staring at me lovingly. He pointed teasingly to his lips, signaling I had something on them. I licked my lips embarrassingly and went back to eating. Wally had taken his apron off and hung it back up, making his way over to the dining table and sitting next to me. I watched him place some pancakes onto his own plate and blink slowly, little bits of the pancakes disappearing into thin air.

"Hey Wally, what are we doing today?" I asked, wiping my mouth with my sleeve.

He side-eyed me and reached over, taking the napkin off of my lap and running it from my sleeve to my mouth.

"Staying clean, I'd hope." He joked, wiping my mouth an extra time.

"Besides that.. what are the plans? Where do we go from here?" I asked, covering my blush with my hand.

"Well," he started, pushing his empty plate in front of him. "You could write out what you'll say on camera. A good actor always rehearses before a show!" He exclaimed, winking at me.

"Yeah.. that's a good idea. I can get everything in order so I don't mess up my information." I said, removing my hand from my face and deciding to bite my nails instead.

I was broken from my train of thoughts by Wally wrapping his arms around me and placing a blank sheet of paper onto the table, swiftly removing the plate with his other hand. Wally made his way over to the sink and placed the plate gentle inside it, my eyes glancing away from him back to the empty paper.

"I need a pen-" I was cut off by Wally appearing at my side and holding a blue one out.

"Thank you, Wally!" I said, taking it happily and popped the cap off.

I began to write everything out, starting from the very beginning to the information recently discovered. I paused every now and then, re-reading and ignoring Wally's flirtatious advances. I scribbled thoughts for at least an hour before Wally became attention starved.

"Darling, why don't we make this a game? You've finished it, or gotten close, yes? Let's play.. actor! I'll be the camera man and you can get to rehearse saying this in front of a camera. It's a win-win! I get entertainment and you get practice. How does that sound?" Wally said excitedly, pushing my pen away from the paper and turning my face towards him.

"Hmm.. okay, that's fine. But no messing around, got it?" I said sternly, furrowing my eyebrows at him.

"Yes, yes, no fooling around! I got it." He said dismissively, smirking as he released my face.

——

Wally had put a blanket over a lamp and taped a cup to the front, he called it an 'artistic view on cameras'. I sighed, picking up the paper and running my eyes over the words.

"Ready? 3, 2, 1... action!" He giggled, running his hand in front of the camera like a clapperboard.

I rolled my eyes and began reciting every bit of information from the paper, pausing every now and then. I stuttered the last parts out and Wally watched in amusement from behind the makeshift camera.

"This won't do.. again! 3, 2, 1.. go!" He announced, waving his hand for me to continue.

I reran it over and over until finally Wally gasped and announced a finish to the 'filming'.

"I think you're ready, darling!" He said, throwing a hand over my shoulder.

"Yeah, I think so too. That actually.. helped a lot. Thank you, Wally! Now all that's left to do is actually record it - hopefully we can borrow a camera from Sally." I said, glancing back down at the paper.

"Wally, do you think we can have just one normal night? Like.. calm before the storm tomorrow. We can call it a date- not that I want to go on a date with you or.. something, haha." I said, my hand darting to the back of my neck awkwardly.

Wallys smile grew from ear to ear and a light pink blush exploded onto his cheeks.

"A date? Oh, I thought you'd never ask!" He unwrapped his arm from my shoulder and cupped my cheek lovingly.

"I've been planning this! Why don't we finish that lily painting from when you first arrived? A trip down memory lane, the perfect way to end the calm." He whispered, pulling me in and gently pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"Yeah.. that's nice, Wally. Let's do that." I said, smiling happily back at him.

"Y'know, lily's are my favorite flower. I wish that when the day comes, they grow around my grave as a constant reminder of what I love."

"I like to think that even after our times up,"

"the things we cherish most never leave us."