↻հąքէҽɾ Ϛì×

I rang Mr. Johnson around 10:20 p.m, just over an hour after I clocked in. I told him I'd be working a night shift and how I'm 'devoted to solving this case', just to please him so he wouldn't ask questions in the morning. With his final approval, I put the phone back into its holder on the wall and sat in my seat.
I cracked open the burglary case file and got to work.

————————————————————————————————————

          Around 2 a.m, I slouched in my chair and breathed out an exhausted breath of air. I had finally finished sorting the evidence. All that was left to do was to walk it down the hall to submit it for their trial next month.

As I was walking, I noticed how truly alone I am in the office building. I guess nobody here really does night shifts besides the guard working outside the gate to the post building.

I reached the metal bin attached to the wall, it had a rusty handle that has been touched way too many times - it must be ancient. I carefully pulled the latch open and slid the file down the hatch before closing it back up.

I started to walk back to the room in slow motion, not wanting to go home and face confrontation. I stopped and hit myself in the head for being so childish about this. I need to start facing my problems head o-

Ring. Ring. Ring.

The ring of a phone cut off my thoughts. I turned my head to the phone in the corner of the lobby that now had a blinking green light.
Who would call this late at night?

I walked over to the phone tiredly, picking it up from the metal bars that held it secured.

"Hello, investigation unit. Who is this?" I spoke into the phone, awaiting an answer.

I waited for a few moments. Nothing. I leaned my ear closer to the top of the phone to hear... breathing. Just then, the phone line cut. I will admit, I'm a little creeped out but  It must be a prank call.

In more of a rush to leave now after the strange call, I made it into our office. I put the pens and highlighters back into my bag, shut down the detective's computer, grabbed my bag and keys, finally shutting the door and locking it behind me.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

It's the phone again. I walked down the short hallway back to where the lobby is located. Peering my head past the wall, I saw it wasn't the same phone this time. But the only one close to me is the one in-

Our office.

This wouldn't have creeped me out if the only connection to that phone wasn't from the office upstairs. Ignoring all the red flags going off in my head, I unlocked my office door and went inside. I slid our offices new silver phone out of its place on the wall and put it against my face.

"Hello? Helloooo? Hello?"

A high pitched yet monotone voice whispered through the phone.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. I'm only kidding. I know you're there. Did you like my joke?"

The voice whispered playfully into the phone. I stretched the phone cord all the way as I pulled out the chair from my desk and sat down. I felt all the saliva in my mouth but I was too scared to swallow. I decided to unlock the computer and try to figure out where the phone call was coming from.

"I think you are going to say.... Yes. Ha. Ha. HA. It's.. hard. To hear you think through this.. fuzzy phone. Very fuzzy. A little like me! Speaking of.."

The voice continued on. Fuzzy? This guy is nuts. I brought up the call logs but.. there seems to be no trace of a call to us today. This has to be a mistake. I could hear my heart beating in my ears.

"Do you know who I am?"

Before I could respond- a gasp was heard from the other side.

"Oh no! Well, that's not neighborly at all. We've never met before. Don't worry though. We haven't spoken before, but I've seen you.. whenever you've looked into my eyes. What did you see when you did?"

He paused for a moment, awaiting my response. Too bad for him because I was too busy holding back tears and throw up. I feared that if I did respond, it would all come tumbling out and keep me here longer than wanted. Still, I couldn't stop my rampant thoughts from wondering who this man was. Where had I seen him?

Where had he seen me?

"Uh oh, I have to go now. You're probably wondering about my strange call.. What fun to talk about! It'll be a little joke between you and me."

His voice dropping a level as he finished.

"Until I call again, remember to keep your smile merry and always know that I love you very much. Bye!"

The phone line cut again. I dropped the phone to the floor, the cord bouncing as it fell. I replayed the entire call in my head, noting little things like; neighborly, eyes, and the fact I've seen him. Whoever... him is.

I grabbed my bag and made my way towards the exit. Not bothering to shut off the lights or to lock the door as I ran out of the building and all the way home.