18ꉓꃅꍏꉣ꓄ꍟꋪ8 ꍟꀤꁅꃅ꓄ꍟ1ꍟꈤ18

I embraced Wally in a tight hug. I don't know why, but I felt compelled to do so. Wally had begun sobbing and clung onto me, whispering strings of 'I'm sorry' into my good shoulder.

"C'mon, let's get you back to Home." I said, leaning back and pulling his hands off from around me and holding them firmly.

I stood up, bringing him up along with me. He clung to my arm as we walked, not once looking up at me. Wally kept his eyes trained on the ground. I guided him across the yellow path, not bothering to follow it, we went straight up to Home. I knocked a few times on the door and watched it's eyes open and notice us at the door, opening it invitingly. I patted the doorframe as a thank-you and took Wally inside, gently closing the door with my foot as we made our way further inside. I walked Wally to the couch and sat him down on it.

"Tell me what happened, Wally." I said, sitting a seat away from him.

"Okay. But, may I get some tea before we dive into this? It's quite a.. confusing story. I don't fully understand it myself either." Wally asked.

I nodded, standing and making my way into the kitchen. I put water into the coffee maker and waited for it to boil, glancing back to check on Wally every now and then. Once it finished, I poured some into a plain white mug and scanned through the drawers looking for tea. Eventually, I found a small box of Earl Gray. I pulled out one tea bag and placed it into the water. I carefully brought it back to the living room, pulling a coaster over and setting the hot mug down onto it. Wally watched the water turn light brown, then he blinked and some of the water in the cup drained.

"Now will you tell me?" I asked, sitting back in the seat I was once in.

"Alright. One day, a child showed up here. I don't know why or how they did, but they came knocking on my door. I was so thrilled at the idea of having a new friend to play with. I'd invite them to stay at Home with me whenever the days faded into night, only to never see them in the morning. It happened over and over and over. I.. I got so obsessed with trying to figure out where they had all gone - just like you. Eventually, one night I stayed outside the guest room and heard strange noises coming from inside. I checked and what I saw.. mortified me. I get faint visions of what happened, but for some reason, I can never remember exactly what occurred that night in the bedroom. I cannot recall what it looked like either." Wally paused, glancing back at his tea and blinking.

"So, you're saying the children randomly showed up one by one and would just.. disappear overnight with no trace of who or.. what had taken them? And you can't remember any of what you saw?" I said, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Yes, unfortunately. It all drove me crazy. Sometimes I just can't snap out of it - it's like I'm not in control of myself anymore. I became so frustrated with myself for not being able to remember what happened. I was so.. scared. Scared of losing another person. Scared of meeting another person and not being able to help them. That's why when I saw you through the first tape, I became so fixated. I don't know how you got that, but I just.. needed you. I went to extreme lengths just to bring you here and became so obsessed with keeping you all to myself. I just wanted to feel less.. alone. I wanted to give you the world. I wanted to protect you even if it meant hurting you." Wally said, bringing his trembling hands up to grasp and pull at his hair.

I reached over and took his hands into mine, squeezing gently.

"Wally, if you didn't send the tapes, who did?" I said, scooting closer to him.

"I don't know." He said, looking up into my eyes and tearing up.

He sniffled and pulled his hands away to wipe his eyes with a sad laugh.

"I'm sorry. For all of this. I should've.. I should've never interfered with your life. I'm sorry for hurting you." He choked out, moving his hands around his body and hugging himself.

"I can't forgive you. I don't work like that, Wally. I need you to prove it. I need actions, not words." I said, running a hand over my face and grimacing at the blood that came off with my hand.

"Is there a way for me to get back home from here?" I said, rubbing the bloodied hand down my already stained shirt.

"You can't leave me." He said, snapping his head to look up at me. "I-I mean because if you go back, they'll arrest you on suspicion of the detectives death. That's how this police stuff works, right?" Wally said with an anxious laugh.

"Yeah, you're right. Okay. Wally, can you do something for me?" I said, skimming through the mental notes I took.

Wally hummed in response, unwrapping his arms and sitting up straighter.

"Can you help me solve this case? Maybe if I take you around certain places and people, it'll jog your memory. We can do this together and put an end to this once and for all. What do you think?" I said, offering him a goofy smile.

"Okay. I'll help you." He said, returning the smile.

I stood up from the couch, wanting to find a change of clothes for Wally and I then clean the blood away from my body.

"Wait!" Wally blurted, reaching a hand out towards me.

I stopped walking and turned back to him.

"What is it Wally?" I said, taking a few steps closer.

"Can you.. can you stay with me? Just for tonight?" He said, sounding like a five year old who just woke up from a nightmare.

"But, Wally, we're both covered in blood and dirt-" Wally cut me off swiftly.

"I don't care. I just want you... please?" He said, looking deep into my eyes.

I let out a defeated sigh and made my way back to the couch, sitting down next to Wally. Wally rested his head on mine and reached for a blanket from behind the couch, grabbing it and pulling it over us. He slowly moved his hands around me, looking at me for approval to which I granted with a nod. He hugged me close to his chest, letting me rest on him like a pillow.

I closed my eyes, soaking in the relaxing moment after a long day of stress. I heard Wally whisper something under his breath before he fell asleep and I couldn't help but crack a small smile at it.

"Sweet dreams."