Chapter 18

Nandini suddenly jerked awake, wincing as her neck sprained as she fell asleep while leaning against the headboard of the bed as she awaited for Manik's arrival at night to talk. Her eyes fell on the other side of the bed, only to find it empty.

Getting up, she walked to the bathroom and looked in, only to find it empty. Moving out of the room, she looked around the house and then realised he never came home last night. Dread settled in her heart as she marched back to the room. She had noticed him drinking in the past month and maybe fell asleep somewhere after drinking. It was still early in the morning. She decided to wait for another hour or two before sending someone to look out because it wouldn't take long for news to spread around in the village.

Collecting a plain yellow saree, she walked to the bathroom to take a bath. After bathing, with her wet hair falling off her back, the saree draped around her frail figure, she filled her partition with a pinch of vermilion and tied the nuptial chain around her neck.

Walking to the kitchen, she busied herself in preparation of breakfast for everyone. She was so busy in her chores that she failed to notice that two hours had passed by. As she was walking out of the kitchen, drenched in sweat due to heat, for another bath she froze on the threshold as she heard hushed whispers between two men working in their house.

"Humare Sarkar hi ache hai isse toh," One man said and another enquired, "Kyu?"

"Arrey, kal unhone Rumi saath raat guzari," he replied and another asked, clearly astonished, "Kya, sach mai?"

"Haan. Main khud bhi wahi tha. Maine dekha unhe kamre mai jaate aur panch minute baad Rumi bhi ussi kamre mai gayi. Aur kal toh aas paas puchne se pta chala ki ye dusri baar aaye the yaha. Pichle ek-do mahine se kitni sharab pee rahe the aur un ki biwi ko toh koi kadar hi nahi thi. Jab biwi hi esi ho toh Sarkar aur kya hi karte bechare," the man said, none of them realising the presence of Nandini, as she leaned against the wall, her feet unable to hold the pain that she suddenly felt.

"Lekin unke toh bache ki maut ho gayi thi. Toh gham mein hogi woh bhi," the other man said, making another say, "Ab teen mahine ho gaye. Kis baat ka gham ab. Joh beet gaya usko bhul jana tha na. Ab jab tak Rumi hai koi aur aurat uske aage kuch nahi hai. Aur Sarkar jiske haath lag gaye, unhe kaun hi chodna pasand karenge."

Her vision blurred with tears as the men continued interacting, "Suna hai badi achi hai voh bistar mai."

"Aur nahi toh kya. Pure kothe mai se sabse achi hai. Kese nahi hogi? Das saal se iss dhande mein hai," the man replied before both of them laughed as another said, "Isiliye aaj subah se Sarkar nahi dikhe. Dhak gaye honge puri raat bechare."

As they walked away while talking, Nandini didn't even realise how she reached the room, their words ringing in her ears while the tears were uncontrollable. Her body shook as her body was wrecked due to anguish and betrayal.

~~~~

"Ye mein kya sun rahi hu, Nandini!" her mother, who had come to meet her daughter since her parents were on their way to a nearby village for a wedding, asked. Nandini, who was busy chopping the vegetables, looked up in question. "Damad ji kothe gaye the?"

Not giving her time to respond, her mother said, "Tu kar kya rahi hai?! Pehle bacha aur ab yeh sab. Isiliye kehti thi tere baap ko ki ladki ko jyada sar par mat uthao." Leaning closer, she whispered, "Bohot ho gaya beta. Jo hua usse bhul ja. Iss mein jo hai woh bhi mat kho beithna. Abhi bhi der nahi hui hai."

"Mujhe nahi pata tha mere gum manane ki ek seema hai. Mujhe maaf kare, Maa. Ab pata chal gaya, khyal rakhungi," Nandini said plainly, not having the will to fight at how she could say this to her own daughter, after knowing what he did with her.