Chapter 8

"Maaji. Khaana laga du?" Nandini asked, walking to her mother in law who was sitting on a charpai, fanning herself.

(Maa, shall I bring your dinner?)

"Nahi. Bas Manik aata hoga. Uske saath hi khaungi," she replied and as Nandini was about to turn back, her mother in law said, "Aur sun. Doh charpai aur yahi bicha le. Ab kamre mai garmi bohot ho jayegi. Sab yahi khule mai soh jaate hai."

(No. Manik will be coming back soon. I'll have it with him. **And listen, bring two cots outside. It is too hot inside the rooms. Everyone can sleep in the open.)

"Jee," Nandini mumbled, doing as the old woman said before bringing over the blankets from their room and keeping them at the edge of every charpai in case anyone needed them for the night.

Some time later, as Manik entered with a man in his mid thirties, she walked to the kitchen, bringing  glasses of water for them. As she was handing them, her hands shook in fear when Manik was busy snapping at the man, "Maine bh*nch*d kitni baar bola tha ki unse paise kam lena! Iss bar kheti kam hai. Pata karo ki kaunse m*d*rch*d unke paise khaa rahe hai!"

(You m*ther*u*k** I told you so many times to take less amount of money from them because the harvesting is low. Get me the information about the s*s**rf*c*e* who has been eating up the money.)

The man hurriedly nodded his head before practically running away from their home. Manik pressed his head, his veins standing out in frustration while handing over the glass to Nandini. He looked towards his wife for the first time since he entered when she asked feebly, "Khaana lag du?"

(Should I arrange your dinner?)

He noticed how she was practically shivering in fear, taking a step back, as he stood up, towering over her small frame. to go and change. Nodding he went to their room without a word while Nandini prepared the dinner.

•••••

After Manik was done with his dinner, he went to their room to look after some papers before sleeping while Nandini had her dinner. When Mahir was busy playing with his dadi, Nandini, done with dinner, went to their room to change out of the saree since it was really hot before resuming her work in kitchen. After changing into a cotton suit, she walked out, observing her husband who was now laying on the bed with an arm draped over his head.

"Aaj Maaji keh rahe the ki bahar soh jayenge sab. Kamre mai bohot garmi hai," Nandini said softly, making Manik hum tiredly. Despite the nervousness, she asked, "Aap theek hai?"

(*Maa was saying that everyone will sleep in the veranda today. **Are you okay?)

At her question, Manik removed his arm, staring at her. She nervously fidgeted with her fingers while looking at the floor on feeling his gaze on her. Signing, Manik said, "Thoda sar mai dard hai."

(My head is paining.)

"Mai dabadu?" Nandini asked instantly and Manik hummed. Closing the door, without locking, she moved to the bed and he laid his head in her lap, making her heart sped up, without her saying anything. His eyes closed as her fingers gently pressed his head, the soft clinking of her bangles ringing in his ears.

(Shall I press it?)

When he felt slightly relieved, he opened his eyes, their eyes clashing. She immediately broke the eye contact, looking down. He raised his hand, cupping her cheek before gliding it through her hair, opening her bun and letting her hair free.

"Itna kyu darti hai mujhse? Mai tujhe maarta hu?" Manik asked, making her look at him as she hurriedly shook her head. He softly questioned, "Toh?"

(Why are you so scared of me? Do I beat you? **Then?)