Chapter 10

The loud clanging of utensils filled the kitchen as Nandini tried to find glasses while she made the tea for the guests outside. Her movements were irritated as she prepared the tea and carried it.

Walking in the verandah, her eyes moved back towards her husband from under the veil, spitting fire as he conversed and his eyes were stuck to the vile woman sitting beside him, who his bua wanted him to marry before there marriage. The woman, Anjana, wore a beautiful blue saree, although covered, they elegantly showcased her beautiful curves, which were nothing compared to the beauty residing on her face.

She bend down, serving it to everyone. As she walked to her husband, she cleared her throat, her heart burned in a nameless feeling as he snapped his gaze for a moment towards her and took the mud cup she handed over before his attention was back to his ex prospective bride as she smiled.

Nandini walked back to the kitchen, throwing back the veil in frustration and started washing the utensils. She pouted as she looked at her stomach, her eyes filling up as she mumbled, "Abhi toh main moti bhi nahi hui. Ye toh bore bhi hogaye."

When soft footsteps were heard behind her, she looked at the doorway and found Mahir wobbling his way towards her. She was soaking the used dishes when Mahir tugged at the pallu of her saree. Nandini eyed him as she said, "Kya hai? Mere paas kyu aaya hai. Main purani hogi ab. Apne Baap paas ja. Dekh teri nayi mummi laye hai."

Mahir frowned at her before he screamed in irritation, raising his arms towards her to pick him up. Leaving her work, Nandini sat down on the floor of kitchen itself carefully since her condition didn't allow her to pick him up. It had been a month since she went to ved, making it nearly at end of three months of her pregnancy. She pulled him in her lap.

As he looked up at her silently, Nandini looked back. A few minutes passed by and tired from their staring contest, Mahir sighed, as if he was the adult of the two, before placing his head on her bosom.

"Tu kitna pyaara hai, Mahir. Chup chap sa," Nandini cooed, placing a kiss on his head. Burning in jealously, she couldn't help as she murmured, "Kaash tere papa bhi esse hote. Chup chap side pe baith te. Joh mai kahu, voh kar re hote. Par nahi, unhe toh us nilli saree wali churail saath khee khee karni hai." She looked at the side, watching the milk about to boil up, forgetting her surroundings as she exclaimed "oh teri bhen di." she hurriedly removed Mahir from lap, extinguishing the fire.

After she was done, she pulled Mahir back in her lap, who looked ready to cry. He looked at her and she smiled at him fondly, but the smile was immediately wiped off, her eyes widening in shock as he grinned while murmuring, "Oh teri behen di."

•••••

As the dawn fell over and everyone had their dinner, they were sitting around on their usual charpai's. Mahir, who was playing with his truck, was muttering something. No one paid attention, but Nandini, who was passing to hand over the glass of milk to Manik, widened her eyes at her son in warning, only visible to him under the veil. She had tried to tell him to stop but he was fascinated by those four words. Instead of getting afraid, Mahir giggled loudly, drawing everyone's attention before he exclaimed, "Oh teri behen di!"

Nandini tried to act surprised with everyone else, not wanting them to blame her and said softly, "Mahir, esse nahi bolte."

Her act was bought by everyone, well except for her husband who was amused by their interaction since he had been noticing her since evening as she tried to subtly lecture Mahir on something.

"Ye isko kisne sikhaya vese?" Manik's mother asked, frowning at her grandson who spoke only few words that fascinates him. Everyone's eyes fell on Nandini for an explanation, since he was joined to her hip majority of the day.

"Woh–" Nandini fumbled, her eyes falling on Manik, who was enjoying everything and her earlier anger intensified as she said, "Woh–ye gaaliya dete hai. Maine inhe kitni baar mana kiya hai. Inhi se ye apshabd sikha hoga mera bacha."

Manik opened his mouth in shock but he couldn't utter anything because no matter how old he was or that everyone around him was afraid, he couldn't argue before his mother as she gave him a big lecture on using profinities, especially around children.

•••••

"Zyada muh nahi chalne lag gaya," Manik murmured in her ear as she laid down beside him, his hand wrapping around her waist from behind.

"Toh sach–" Nandini started, stopping and hissing in pain as he palmed her breast over her blouse tightly, knowing how sensitive they had been since her pregnancy. Her hand held his wrist, making him loosen his hold, as she breathed out, "Sach hi toh kaha. Aap dete to hai gaaliya."

"Acha. Kab suni tune?" Manik murmured, smirking as he watched her cheeks turn red. He couldn't help himself, making Nandini yelp in surprise as she felt him biting softly on her cheek. She rubbed her cheek, twitching her nose at feeling moist while his hand moved, holding her breast, grazing his thumb near her areola. Her breathing deepened, eyes closing as his hand gently fondled her bosom while he whispered in her ear, "Vese maine toh esi gaali kabhi nahi di. Kise sikhi?"

Her eyes snapped open, her heart racing as she thought of the answer. She nibbled on her bottom lip as she mumbled, "Woh ek dost se." She felt his movements seize and felt the air around them change as he softly asked, yet the danger lining his tone was evident, "Kaun dost?"

"Woh bachpan ka dost tha," Nandini mumbled, terrified, as she tried to divert the answer. But, him calling out her name was enough for her to stutter, "Raman."

"Raman, hmm?" Manik asked, making her nod her head nervously. She felt herself burning with anger, which was not a good combination with the jealousy from earlied, when he inquired, "Usne kabhi haath lagaya tujhe."

Nandini didn't even realise what she was saying until it was too late as she snapped, "Haan. Humne sab kuch kiya. Bas ek cheez ko chod ke. Mujhe laga itna haq toh mere pati ko hona chahiye." She felt like the life was sucking out of her as both of them remained silent, digesting her own words and what a wreck she created and she fumbled out a minute later, "Suniye mai mazak–"

She didn't get to complete her sentence as she was turned around in flurry, facing him before crying out softly as his hand fisted her hair. She held his hand, trying to loosen his grip, her eyes filling with tears as he pulled back her head, making her meet his eyes burning with anger, his jaw clenched. Seeing him seething like this, she knew what was coming her way and mumbled in fear, trying to prove her innocence, "Maine sach mai kissi saath kuch nahi kiya kabhi. Bas aap hi hai sab kuch. Kasam se."

Manik believed every word coming out of her mouth, knowing she couldn't even kiss for the life of her, yet he felt himself burning at even thinking of anyone with her. As her eyes started tearing up, he left her hair. Her heart sank as he turned away from her, his back to her.

She laid on her back, closing her eyes to sleep. But, her mind went back to the day's events, thinking about how comfortable Manik and Anjana were. His action of being indifferent to her now just intensified her insecurities.

Manik felt her eyes on his back, but refused to turn around. He wasn't going to tolerate her spewing out whatever shit she wanted and would have made that clear in a lot different way if she wasn't in this condition right now. He felt her twisting and turning around, trying to find a comfortable position and some time passed before both of them fell asleep with a sad mindset.