18- In the Walls

|🦋-Mirabel's POV-🦋|

I can't believe I never noticed a secret passage behind this painting. I followed the rats down the passage.

I saw a dark figure stood in a corner, taking the vision from the rats. After a flash of lightning, I saw his face.

Tío Bruno.

He looked at me for a second before running away.

I quickly followed in pursuit. "Hey!"

We raced down the twisting labyrinth, bashing into walls as he scrambled away from me.

"Stop! Stop!" I tried to shout after him.

As I turned another corner, I saw him do some sort of parkour over a giant hole in the floor.

I took a deep breathe and leaped...

I managed to land safely on my feet. I adjusted my glasses...

And then the floor gave way under me.

I grabbed a loose piece of wood. Below me was an endless pit of blackness.

"Casita? Casita!" I begged, reaching around me for anything more stable to hold onto. "Help me! Help me!"

My hands slipped and I almost fell into the darkness.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed my wrist.

Bruno came back for me.

He looked different in this lighting. He looked less... scary.

"You're very sweaty."

The floor collapsed under him too. I managed to catch him and hold onto another floorboard.

He smiled. Something climbed out of his ruana.

Is that a rat?!

I jumped back, letting him go and realising too late.

"No no no!"

He re-emerged from the darkness. He waved away the fog, to show a floor.

"Huh." He shrugged.

I climbed back onto the solid floor, before holding out my hand for him to take.

We stood looking at eachother for a minute.

"Bye." He shoved me out of his way.

"What? No- Hold on!" I ran back after him.

"Why did you take the vision?"

He began tapping some wood. "Knock, knock, knock. Knock on wood." He crossed his fingers and held his breathe. Weird.

"Is it why you came back or...?"

He is nothing like Camilo described.

"Tío Bruno?"

"Knock, knock, knock. Knock on wood." He continued knocking on the walls.

"You were never supposed to see that vision! No one was!" He scooped something out of a small bowl and threw it over his shoulder. "A little salt."

I sat it out of my mouth. "Blech!"

"Sugar." He threw some sugar at me.

He began balancing on the planks to avoid the cracks. He hummed. "Sana sana, colita de rana."

I paused as I saw the cracks from the inside of the walls. But they were patched up.

"Wait, have you been in here... patching the cracks?"