A Failure

Author's POV

The day results came out of first term exams was the day of some mockings and some disappointments and some courage .

Nandini lost her topper position which she had been enjoying since her second standard first term exams .

Sameer turned out to be the new surprise topper in the whole batch .

And because of it their snobbish classmates started mocking Nandini as she had become too much arrogant because of her continuous success . They kept on teasing and mocking her and it lead to Nandini getting angry and being the child she is she started yelling on them relating to their results .

" Stop telling that I am a failure atleast I am better then you , you moron ."

"Had you not noticed you passed mathematics exam on border line whereas I scored a 98 . Still better then you idiot ."

But these mocking were the last straws to her cool girl demeneour . She excused herself like a princess , ran off to the school grounds , hid herself in the corner bushes and the dam of her tears broke loose . She started crying, sobbing and wailing . And was oblivious of a pair of eyes watching her intensely . The little boy does not know why his chest felt tight , why he was suffocating at her tear stained face . What he realises is this that he can't ever see her crying . Ever , never , never in his life he wanted to see her crying he realises but he didn't knew she would release a whole sea of tears later on in their life drenching not his shirt but his soul which would lead to the most drastic decision of his life .

                         Polygamy

He went to her , sat beside her and gave her his handkerchief to wipe off her tears and when she still continued crying he said calmly although he was himself conflicted inside

" Baba kehte hain ki humein life mein Marks ke liye kabhi rona nahin chahiye .( father says we should never cry over marks obtained )"

And kept on looking towards her as if to know if he is able to pacify her a bit . But no he wasn't able to . That day he realised how much she values marks in life then living life itself . Her life was to be a perfect daughter , a perfect sister , a perfect student and in last one month he realises if friends she would be a perfect friend too .

" Mein pichle do saal se first aa rahi hoon . Mummy bahut gussa karengi mujh par .( I am topping since last two years . Mom will be angry on me)"

She said while looking towards ground her wailing reduced a bit and sobbing died up . She had controlled herself as she didn't wanted to cry in front of her new friend . Ha ha ha as if she had any real friends . Infact he was the only person who never approached her for anything infact was forced to take her help in studies in his initial month of joining but now he was good on his own .

" Why did you came here ? To see how Nandini looks while crying ? You must be having fun naa?? As it was me who played pranks on you when you joined our school ."

She was wailing and accusing him without any apparent fault of his and he didn't had any idea on how to make her happy again as he had since long considered her as his friend . Finally he thought of something and said to her

" If it's that important to you I will tell Shraddha man that I cheated for the five marks question in mathematics paper and hence you will be the topper again ."

Nandini looked at him flabbergasted and said

" Tumhe pata hai jhoot bolna bahut buri baat hai . ( you know it's very bad to lie )"

He kept on looking at her face and replied

" Baba kehte hai kisi ke chèhre pe humare ek jhoot se agar hansi aa jaaye to woh jhoot Allah maaf kar deta hai ( father says if one lie can bring a smile to someone's face it's pardoned by Allah )"

Although his father never told him anything like this but he lied as he didn't knew how to pacify her as he himself was a child that too in a new city a new school and amidst children who treat him as an outcast due to his religion which he had realised now. Only this girl he had friendship with and today he being topper could break it too .

" Allah kaun hai ? Usey kaise pata chalega Tumne jhoot bola ? ( who is Allah ? How will he know that you lied ?)"

Nandini looked towards him forgetting her crying with her big brown eyes curious as if it's the biggest puzzle she needs to solve immediately .

Sameer already didn't knew how to talk as he was an introvert and now this question . No matter how stupid the question sounded to him he had to give some sort of reply to the girl whose only impression on him till now was that she is super intelligent , impulsive , highly emotional and easy to distract as she in an instant forgot her crying and is shooting questions at him now.

He smiled a bit at her cute antics and the question which according to him was stupid enough but still he told her what he knew about it

" hmmm Allah is whom we pray to , who created us and sent us to the earth and to whom we will go back in end and Allah knows all ."

"Arey bewakoof wahi to poocha meine ki Allah hai kaun . Sab sahi kehte hain class mein ki tu murkh hai ( hey stupid that's what I asked you about that who is Allah . All say right about you that you are foolish )."

And she breaks into hysterical laughs . Although being called foolish he was happy as he could bring smile on a crying face and that too on a face which belonged to someone whom proposed friendship to him . He too started laughing with her and although their friendship was proposed by Nandini around a month back today her failure which according to her only was a failure brought the two closer to each other such that in future they would be besties of each other .

No romantic feelings still so much possessive about each other that in their whole life they never needed any other person as a friend . They were each other's rock and each other's salvage and it was on this itself that Nandini took a promise from him to never ever lie no matter what happens . She told him Thakurji doesn't likes liars and won't fulfill their wishes without knowing that his Allah likes her and her Thakurji likes him as otherwise their is no reason for them to come in each other's lives and form a solid bond .

Author's Note
No god whether it's my Allah or yours Thakurji favours liars . We all are taught in our scriptures to be truthful and believe in one and that is humanity as it is above all . So let's believe in humanity and if  their are some who are forming interreligious friendships if we can't support them atleast we should not hate them to the extent of destroying their lives by killing their souls . It's no crime to make friends with a person of different religion .