The Deal

~Lenna's pov~

It felt like my whole world shattered.
How could he remember me after all these years? 

The memories flooded back—memories I had tried to bury deep down. I tried to compose myself and come up with an excuse, but my mind was blank. 

All I could do was stare at him in disbelief, my heart pounding in my chest.

I laughed nervously as I tried to brush it off.

"What's that? Is that some code word for- "

"Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about." He smirked.

He knows..

And now I know for sure that he was that officer who saw me that day...

I grabbed his collar and slammed him onto the wall.
My mind was racing as I struggled to process everything that was happening. The officer I thought I had successfully avoided for years was standing right in front of me. 

Memories of that day flooded back, and I felt a surge of anger and fear. How could he have found me after all this time? And what did he want?

 I took a deep breath and tried to compose myself, but the adrenaline was still pumping through my veins.

"What do you want from me?" I asked. He chuckled.

"You in jail."

My heart sank as his words echoed in my mind. I knew I had to act fast, but my mind was racing with fear and confusion. 

How could I defend myself against someone so determined to see me suffer? I took another deep breath and tried to steady my voice.

"Why do you want me in jail?" I asked, hoping to buy some time to think. His smirk faded as he hesitated, and I knew I had struck a nerve.

"You know damn well why," he growled.
I could feel the tension in the air, and my heart was pounding in my chest. I had to come up with a plan, and fast. I needed to buy more time, so I asked another question.

"What evidence do you have against me?" I asked, hoping to catch him off guard. He glared at me, but I could see the doubt in his eyes.

He couldn't answer me! Ha. I let go of him and backed away with a smile.

"It was a mistake of the past, and you don't even have evidence. So I think it's best if you forget about it."

But then his eyes darkened, and his jaw clenched in anger. He stepped forward, towering over me.

"You think you can just get away with it? No. I won't forget about it," he growled through gritted teeth. 

His fists balled up at his sides, and his breathing became heavy and erratic. I could feel the intensity of his rage emanating from him, and it made me shiver with fear.

"I won't stop until I lock you up for good." He threatened. My gaze turned cold.

"And I won't stop fighting because it wasn't my fault." I retorted back.

"Liar. I saw you kill him."

"I didn't do it." I gritted my teeth.

"Then tell me why you stared at your blood stained hands in fear, like you were a monster, if you didn't." He smirked with fire in his eyes. I took a deep breath, trying to control my rising anger.

"I was scared, okay? Scared of what happened and what I might have done. But I didn't hurt him, I swear." My voice was shaking now, and I could feel tears prickling at the corners of my eyes. "You have to believe me."

But he just shook his head, the fire in his eyes turning to cold contempt.

"I don't believe you. And neither will anyone else."

My heart sank as his words sank in. He was right - who would believe me? The evidence was stacked against me, and I had no alibi.

"You're right no one will but as soon as I get assigned to Donovola's case. I'll catch him and prove to you that I never put his son in a coma nor did I ever kill that politician." 

I tried to hold back the pain and tears that threatened to spill from my eyes. His words cut deep, but I refused to let him see me break. 

The thought of being falsely accused and punished for a crime I didn't commit was unbearable. I needed justice, and only I could do it.

"Alright," he said, clenching his jaw. "Let's make a bet then. If you catch Donovola and prove your innocence before I prove you guilty then you can torture me but if I prove you guilty, then you turn yourself in." He put out his hand for me to shake.

I looked at his hand hesitantly. My one and only chance..

"Deal"