Chapter 41

It's the night of the championship game, and to say everyone was on edge, would be the understatement of the century.

Before the game, Mom wanted to wish Scott luck, so here we are, wading through a bunch of sweaty players, which baffles me because they haven't even started playing yet.

But whatever, they're teenage boys, what're you gonna do?

On our way over to Scott, we happen to pass Jackson, who is staring at us. Oddly, my mom avoids his eyes, but I send a glare right back.

Something I'm not expecting is for him to grab my arm, almost in fear.

"Look, I don't know what's gonna happen tonight, but I have a feeling it's not good, and you're the only one who has even come close to stopping me, so... if I go off the rails... I need you to put me down."

He can't possibly be saying what I think he's saying...

"You mean like—"

"Yes." He uncharacteristically pleads with me, "Just... please."

I nod hesitantly, and he retreats out of the locker room.

If I'm being completely honest, with Matt dead, I thought the threat of Jackson was gone, and haven't even thought about it, but I guess I was wrong.

Lord please don't let Jackson go off the rails... as much as I say I want to kill him; I don't want to have to actually do it.

I catch up with my mom right as Coach's voice booms from a megaphone, "Good morning!"

Not this again.

I sigh and drop my face into my hands, while my mom looks around cluelessly.

"In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world... and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind."

"What?" My mom wonders aloud.

"Mankind—that word should have new meaning for all of us today."

I suddenly feel my mom dragging me somewhere, when I look up, I see she's brought me over to Stiles, and is now tapping his shoulder, "What the hell is he talking about?"

He regretfully glances at her, "He does this every year."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah..." I confirm, looping my arm through Stiles, causing a small grin to appear on his face.

My own smile is interrupted by Coach's dramatic speech, "We are fighting for our right to live!"

A chorus of "Yeah's" resound from the players, well except Stiles, if his expression could speak, it'd say 'I am so done with this bullshit.'

"Wait, is this...?" My mom begins to ask, realizing why the speech sounded familiar.

Stiles nods, "Yeah. It's the speech from Independence Day."

"But as the day the world declared in one voice—" Coach builds.

I peek back at my mother momentarily in the dramatic pause and whisper, "It's Coach's favorite movie."

"WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT!"

"He doesn't know any sports speeches?" Mom questions.

"I don't think he cares." My boyfriend replies.

Probably not.

"TODAY, WE CELEBRATE OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!"

The conclusion of Coach's speech brings an eruption of shouts and cheers from the surrounding players, with Stiles standing with a straight look, not participating.