Chapter 38

I pull up next to Matt's house and stop.

Thank God this night is almost over.

This has been a complete NIGHTMARE!

I look over to him expectantly, waiting for him to get out, but he doesn't, instead, he looks back at me, "Sooooo... despite all the weird stuff that happened... and you kinda disappearing on me, I uh, I had a good time."

I put on the fakest smile I think I've ever put on, "Me too!"

"Maybe we could do something again... next time with fewer people."

I don't give him an answer, hoping he'll get the hint and get out. But once again, he doesn't. This time, instead of saying something else, he starts leaning in and closing his eyes.

I jerk back, "Whaaaatttt are you doing?"

His eyes open awkwardly, "I uh... I guess I thought we were on the same page, but it's totally cool if we're not I'm fine with waiting for you to be ready."

Excuse me? Ready?

"Matt... you do know I'm dating Stiles, right?"

"What?!" He looks genuinely shocked at my question, "I thought it was just a fling... I didn't think you two were serious or anything. I mean why else would you have agreed to go on a date with me?"

Ohhhhh crap. He thought this was a date.

"Yes, Stiles and I are serious... like deadly incurable disease serious. You thought this was a date?"

"What else would you call tonight?"

"Ummm... two friends hanging out?"

"Oh. Well..." he pauses and smiles, "I think I can work with that." He chuckles.

Um, what does he think there is to 'work with'?

"I'm sorry if I was leading you on, it wasn't my intention, I just assumed you knew I was dating Sti—"

"Don't worry about it." He cuts me off, "It's not your fault. I uh- I should get going though." Then gets out of the car.

FINALLY

I begin to shift gears to leave, but I notice he left his camera bag on the floor of the car.

Curiosity takes over, and I grab the fabric strap, inspecting the camera closely, before turning it on and starting to scroll through the pictures.

The first few were taken at a lacrosse game, I smile at the goofy grins of random sweaty players, because they're normal kids, enjoying high school, having no clue about the supernatural dangers they're around every day.

Must be nice.

My smile immediately drops when I come across a picture of me.