Chapter 10

Scott and I walk through the sliding doors of the hospital, with him carrying the white plastic bag of Chinese take-out.

Me, being the fantastic daughter that I am, suggested we get our mother dinner. Scott only agreed because he believes that it'll sweeten her up, so she'll let him have the car tomorrow night for his little hangout with Allison. But with the curfew set by the sheriff's department, she's not gonna let Scott go anywhere in her car.

As soon as our mother's eyes land on us from behind the front desk, she grins and starts laughing cheerfully, "Are my beautiful, talented, and wonderful twins actually bringing me dinner?"

"Thought you wouldn't mind skipping the cafeteria tonight..." Scott smiles, leaning against the desk on his elbows.

"You are the most thoughtful, loving..." Scott bashfully smiles as she continues, "...Most conniving little con artists ever."

His face falls as he gasps in mock offence.

"Just for the record... this was my idea and I want nothing in return." I speak up.

"Aw, well thank you very much sweetheart, I appreciate it." Mom sends me a smile then turns back to my brother, "You are so not getting the car tomorrow night."

Scott gasps again, this time for real, "Mom!"

"What?" she scoffs incredulously, "There's a curfew—no car." Clicking her tongue, she plucks the bag of food out of Scott's hands, "But, I will take this." She turns to leave, but not without placing a kiss to my forehead, "Thank you sweetie."

Walking away, she sends a "love you" back to me and Scott, which we return and then go to leave.

But of course, we can't just LEAVE.

Scott stops and it looks like he smells something, but before I can even ask what it is, he starts following it down the hallway and into someone's room.

What the heck does he think he's doing? You don't just wander into a random person's hospital room. I mean I'm nosey too, but even I have my limits.

If he gets caught, what's he gonna say? "I got a whiff of a familiar a scent and had to follow it?"

Ugh this is why we end up in half the situations we do. I might as well sit down and wait for him to come back, because there's no way I'm actually going WITH him.

A few minutes later, shouting and screaming come from the room he disappeared into.

Damn Scott, what'd you do this time?

I see mom rush into the room and hear her start yelling, probably at my brother... as she should, because he's acting like an idiot.

Next thing I know, Scott is speed walking out of the room, grabbing my arm as he passes me, then dragging me out of the hospital and towards our bikes.

"What happened? What did you do?" I heave, now out of breath from the unexpected powerwalking.

"Nothing! It was Mr. Meyers! I just asked if he was ok, and he started screaming and seizing up!"

I facepalm, "You really want an answer that bad? Then I can answer it for you, no. He's not ok. He was almost slashed to death. Now, are you good? Can we go home? Because I'm tired."

"Yeah... Yeah, let's go." He sighs heavily before we start the ride home from the hospital.

I swear... this kid is giving me gray hairs.

~•~

The next night, once again. I find myself getting dragged out of my house in my pajamas to go on some mission with Scott and Stiles.