6 - New Home

I got to the estate and knocked on the door. Once Abigail opened the door she looked at me oddly.

"Misses Holmes..." she said concerned seeing me upset. She moved aside so I could walk in.

"Shall I get yours bags and take them to yours and Mister Holmes' room?" Abagail asked. I shook my head.

"No, I won't be staying. I was wondering if Enola was here?" I asked and she nodded.

"She is in her room. Shall I go get her?" Abagail asked. I shook my head.

"No, I will go. Thank you." I said. I headed upstairs to her bedroom and knocked on the door to her room that was closed.

"Come in." Enola said and I opened the door. She smiled seeing me then her smile faded once she saw my face.

"Portia...?" She asked concerned.

"Sherlock went after her. He left." I said and Enola dropped her head.

"This is my fault, I never should have brought you two the letter..."

"No, you did the right thing. I just wanted to tell you and then come to say goodbye." I said.

"Goodbye?! What are you talking about?!" Enola asked in shock.

"I begged Sherlock not to leave. He told me he was done chasing ghosts and he wouldn't go after her. We were planning a life and family but he just left. I told him if he walked out the door I was done and he left anyway." I said sitting on the edge of the bed and Enola joined me. I was looking down at my empty ring finger and sighed.

"So you're really leaving him?" Enola asked and I nodded.

"He made his choice Enola and he realized I was the wrong choice a year ago." I said.

"No! That's not true! He loves you Portia! He wants to be with you, he wants it all with you!" Enola said and I shook my head.

"No, he doesn't. He wants the chase, he wants Irene. He can have her now and not worry about his wife." I said and Enola sighed. She pulled me into a hug.

"Where will you go?" Enola asked and I shrugged.

"I'm not sure. I figured I would go to the train station and just pick a destination." I said and she sighed. She got up from the bed, closed the bedroom door and looked back at me.

"Okay I know something that could help you. Get's you away and only I would know where you are." Enola said and I sighed.

"I don't think your hiding tree is going to help right now..." I said and she laughed.

"Don't be sassy." Enola said and we smiled.

"You never met her but my mother was a mastermind and a little...out there. She had all these safe houses all around and I think I know one still in pretty good condition you could stay in. She always told me it was open if I needed a place to go." Enola said and I smiled.

"And how do we get there?" I asked.

"We can take a carriage..."

"We? Enola I love you but -..." I said and she shook her head.

"I would just go to make sure you get there. I won't stay, someone has to be here to throw Sherlock off when he finally comes looking for you." Enola said and I shook my head.

"If I only I believed he will." I said and Enola sighed and she walked over to where I was sitting.

"He will, I swear to you. He will be home in a few days realizing he made a big mistake." Enola said and I sighed.

"Maybe or maybe, he stays gone." I said and Enola just shook her head knowing she wasn't going to get through to me.

"Okay well it's going to take some time to get to this place I'm taking you. Is your carriage outside?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah." I said.

"Perfect, I can tell them where to go." She said as we headed downstairs.

"Abagail! I'll be back!" Enola yelled and we headed out before she could question it.

We got in the carriage after Enola told the driver where to go. He used to work for her mother so he knew exactly where we were going.

"So what happens when Sherlock finds Irene? If he finds Irene?" Enola asked and I shrugged.

"I would guess he would have her arrested but I wish we could just kill her." I said and Enola looked at me in shock.

"Portia..."

"No Enola, I have every right to wish that woman dead. She shot me! She tried to kill me. She is taking Sherlock away from me anyway and getting what she always wanted. I can't live this life. I know if he never finds her this is my life and I don't want it. I gave everything to Sherlock. I knew it would be him and I from the minute he arrived even though he was an arrogant asshole. Now...I can't see a future with him at all." I said and Enola sighed.

"Were you used to be able to see a future?" Enola asked and I nodded.

"I saw it all. Us moving into a house, having a kid or two running around, maybe even a dog. Now I go to look for that future and its black, everything is gone." I said as some tears fell down my cheek and I wiped them away. Enola looked at me sadly.

"He will do the right thing Portia, I know my brother, he loves you." Enola said.

"Is love enough? Or is the chase more important? That's been the question I have been asking myself since the start." I said and Enola sighed but shrugged because even she didn't know at this point.

We were silent the rest of the trip to this small little cottage off the beaten path. It was very cute and quant.

"There isn't much, a bedroom, kitchen, living room and a small study that is full of books." Enola said and I smiled at her.

"Thank you for this Enola." I said and hugged her.

"I will go pick you up some things from the market, so you have food." Enola said and I shook my head.

"I can go. I need to figure out where everything is." I said and Enola shook her head.

"No, stay here, you don't want to be seen right? Well I will bring you supplies. I just want to keep on eye on you too. Is that okay?" Enola asked and I knew there would be no arguing with her. I smiled and nodded.

"Sounds great." I said and she smiled. She left the cottage after the carriage driver brought in my bag and I sighed.

"My new home." I whispered to myself and headed into the bedroom to unpack.