26 - Riddle Me This

**PORTIA POV**

I woke up the next morning in a bed I wasn't sure where I was. I looked up and noticed the body that was in the bed beside me leaning against the headboard was Sherlock and I was in his room at the estate. I needed to get out of here without him seeing me once I was dressed. This baby bump had been concealed long enough and he didn't need to know now, not yet...

I easily got out of bed, barely making a sound and quickly changed behind the changing screen. Once I changed, I walked over to Sherlock still asleep on the bed and sighed. I brushed his hair gently from his face.

"Lay down and sleep Sherlock, it's all okay and I love you." I whispered in his ear. I saw him smile in his sleep. I kissed his cheek, and he laid down as I walked out. I quietly walked down to my mother's room to see her awake and up reading the paper.

"Portia." She said and I walked in and hugged her.

"How are you feeling?" I asked and she sighed as I sat down.

"I don't know how she got to me, but she did."

"She's Irene mother, she has her ways. Until she is caught can you please just stay here, with everyone so I know you are safe?" I asked.

"What about you? You're all alone in that cottage."

"I'll be fine mother. She wants me she can come and find me." I said and Beatrice gasped.

"And what about Sherlock...the baby?" She asked whispering the last part.

"We are all going to be okay. Listen, I have to go because Sherlock is home and he can't see me, can't see the baby. I will come visit soon, okay?" I asked and she nodded. I kissed her forehead and walked out of the room making sure the hallway was still clear.

As I got downstairs Eudoria was standing at the front door.

"The carriage is ready to take you home." She said and I smiled as we hugged.

"Please take care of my mother." I said, Eudoria nodded. I went to walk out of the door.

"Portia wait!" I heard his voice call from the top of the stairs. I wrapped my shawl around me and made sure the front was flowing and he couldn't see.

"Sherlock, I have to go. I can't be seen here." I said and he groaned. He met me at the door. He walked up to me and cupped my face. He leaned down and passionately kissed me and I moaned in the kiss.

"I miss you." Sherlock said when we barely broke apart. Our lips were brushing.

"Then find her Sherlock." I said getting out of his grip and walking outside to get in the carriage. I watched Sherlock standing at the door watching me leave. I could tell he wanted to come with me, but he knew what he had to do.

I got home and found a note stuck to the door and I groaned knowing who it was from. I got out of the carriage, and he drove away going back to the estate. I ripped the note from the door and opened it.

-Portia,

Tsk tsk tsk. You were with Sherlock last night and not apart like you need to be. He laid with you in bed and I'm surprised you were able to hide that baby bump the entire time.

You need to leave him Portia, he is nothing but heartache and hurt as long as I'm around and I don't feel like being caught.

Leave him, leave town and raise your baby alone.

Trust me, it will be for the better.

Regards,

Irene-

I walked in the cottage, crumpled up the note like I had been doing with all the one she sent and threw it in the fire. After this morning, after kissing Sherlock one thing was clear. There was still love there from my husband and for my husband from me. I would not be leaving him, he was mine and once Irene was gone, we would be together and be a family.

**SHERLOCK POV**

After I saw Portia off, and I sighed and walked into the house and looked at my mother.

"Why did you have a carriage ready for her?" I asked.

"Because I had to Sherlock. She doesn't want to be with you until Irene is caught and I'm respecting those wishes. You know that it's for everyone's safety, but she had every right to come and see her mother."

"And stay the night in my bed?!" I asked upset. "Do you know last night was torture for me? I had my wife in my bed, and I couldn't hold her because I knew she would wake up and panic. I couldn't do anything but lay beside her and pray she didn't wake up! I just want my wife, fucking Irene making everything more difficult than it has to be. I will end this...now." I said leaving the house.

I had no clue where I was going, and I had no idea where Irene would be but damnit it was time for her to show her face. I needed my life back. Something seemed off with Portia this morning and it wasn't because her mother was poisoned, and it wasn't because of being with me...there was something going on, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I headed into town, I knew Watson was back and it was now time to find out what he had found out and prayed it was a lead as to where Irene was maybe staying or hiding out. This would end by my hand. I was sure of it.

I got out of the carriage at the apartment and was ready to walk in when a small child came running up to me.

"Mr. Holmes?" He asked and I stopped.

"Yes?" I looked down at this small boy and she shoved a piece of paper towards me. I took it from him, and he ran way in the crowd.

-Sherlock,

Riddle me this:

I can bring a smile to your face, a tear to your eyes, or even a thought to your mind. But I can't be seen just yet. What am I?

If you can answer this riddle then you better catch me soon, so you don't miss too much more.

Best Wishes,

Irene-

I re-read this riddle over and over. It had something to do with Portia, I knew it did because all of the notes I had been getting from Irene did, but never received a riddle and I really didn't understand this one.

"Where are you, Irene." I mumbled looking around as everyone walked around me.