As the night began to fall, the carriage slowed to a stop, and Eira reluctantly brought her playing to an end. She looked out the window, realizing that they had arrived at their destination for the night. She saw the coachman climb down from the carriage and begin to unhitch the horses, but something seemed off. He moved with a strange, jerky motion, and his face was expressionless.

Then, he began to float.

Eira was unsure of many things at the moment, but one thing that she was sure of was that he shouldn't be doing that. 

"Excuse me, are you okay....?" Eira cringed at the question. Of course the man wasn't okay. He was gods damned levitating.

He flew over to hover in front of her window. Eira was not proud of the shrill scream that escaped her.

"Eira," the man—was he a man?—said in Lynden's voice, "you should not lean out the window. It's not safe."

Eira pulled back, startled. "Lynden, how did you... what is going on?"

The figure flew closer, revealing that he was no man at all. A skeletal face and green eyes that cast an eerie light returned her shocked gaze. It almost seemed bemused at her reaction. "I am not Lynden, not in the way you think. I am his familiar, bound to him through a powerful enchantment. He has sent me to watch over you on this journey."

Eira brought her hand to her chin, suppressing a chuckle. A familiar coachman was a great touch from Lynden, as they could not reveal information even upon torture. "Well, he could have at least warned me about you. Do I get to name you, or is that already predetermined by Lynden, too?"

The familiar tilted its head, its green eyes still glowing with amusement. "You make it sound like a bad thing. I'll have you know, I'm quite the capable companion. And I'm certainly better company than a stuffy old coachman."

Familiars could also be quite chatty, she recalled. Eira finally chuckled despite herself, despite the eerie appearance of the familiar. "Fine, I'll try not to judge you based on your... skeletal appearance."

The familiar let out another dry cackle. "I appreciate your open-mindedness. And as for a name, I already have one, thank you very much."

"Oh?" Eira raised an eyebrow. "Do tell."

The familiar grinned, revealing a row of sharp teeth. "My name is Montgomery. Montgomery the Magnificent, if you want to be formal."

Eira couldn't help but burst out laughing. "Montgomery the Magnificent? That's quite a title. I'll have to see some real magic before I start using that one, though."

Eira looked out the window, watching the Lindalumë dance and twirl around the carriage. Montgomery followed her gaze. "They are drawn to your music, and to your pure heart. They are protectors of those who are pure in spirit and in need of their guidance."

Eira looked back at him, still unnerved by his appearance. At least she didn't have to worry about the coachman running off to tell tales of a Crown Princess who played the violin en route to the Aerindirean court. 

"So, Lynden... he trusts you to protect me?"

Montgomery bared his teeth again, in what was likely an attempt at a reassuring smile. "Yes, he does. And I promise to do so to the best of my abilities."

Eira smiled softly, comforted by his words. "Thank you. And thank Lynden for me."

The familiar bowed its head. "Of course. Now, it's time for you to get some rest. We have a long journey ahead of us."

She looked up and saw the Lindalumë still dancing overhead, their light casting a warm glow on everything around them. She suddenly felt exhausted and curled up into a tight ball.

Montgomery almost seemed concerned, if his skeletal face could show such an expression. "Eira, what's wrong?"

"I don't know," she murmured, her eyes closing. "I'm just so tired."

The familiar looked up at the Lindalumë, a realization dawning on him. 

"It's the lights," he said. "They're draining your energy. We will need to find a way to protect you."

But Eira felt herself slipping into sleep, the soft lights of the Lindalumë overhead lulling her into a deep slumber. As she drifted off to sleep, she could hear their soft whispers, their light casting a peaceful glow over her sleeping form.

***

** Vote, comment, and follow me! **

I think my favorite thing so far has been exploring the magical creatures and mythology of Eloria. I've always loved will-of-the-wisps, so of course I had to include them here. Who else loves traditional fairytale elements?

Introducing.....Montgomery the Magnificent! Loyal familiar, and more...to be revealed later!

to be revealed later!