Chapter 56 - Watch and Wait

Start from the beginning

"I--I'm going." I finally somehow speak.

"Four," he says calmly. "I didn't make these rules, but you know th--" I cut him off. "NO. I am going! I don't care about the rules that were made years ago. I. AM. GOING." I yell.

I squeeze my hands into fists as they shake from the adrenaline that rushed through my veins from anger and fear.

I have to save her.

I can't let anyone else do it.

I have to.

"I understand your stress. Trust me, I understand. I want to go and save my sister personally as well. I'm not against you here. We can let the rules slide, just, don't flip out on me again, okay?"

"Sorry 'bout that." I say kind of embarrassed. "And thanks."

"Okay then. Whoever is here is here. Let's get this started." He says. I go and join the mob of people that has multiplied since I last turned around.

The whole meeting goes on and he basically repeats what he said to me a little while ago.

"The whole faction meeting will be in fourty minutes. I hope to see you all there." Josh says walking off to who knows where.

*   *   *

Noting that I don't know already is told at the group faction meeting.

"We won't be taking volunteers to go yet, but later at the whole faction meeting, we will take anyone as volunteers; rules aside. We need as many people as we can for this, and we can't let some silly rules get in the way of that." He looks toward me, then back out at the crowd. "The only thing we ask is that only go if you are in good health; meaning no broken or sprained bones, any disorders that will get in the way, illness etc." he pauses for a second if thinking about what he is going to say next. "I will say, though I would also like to go myself for the rescue of these people, when I signed papers to be head leader I had agreed to not to go on any dangerous mission trips. I did not make up the papers, and I will not go against them. I believe that we will do just fine with the people we get for the trip that we will just need people to stay back and hold down base here."

I can tell that no matter what Josh says, it is still obvious that he is upset about not going on the rescue.

"I'm going to ask everyone that would like to go on the mission to come up to the front of the room after I finish. Even if you're on the fence about going in for the rescue I'd ask that you come up anyway. This isn't written in stone, it's just for us to get a general number."

"This is now the end of the meeting. Thank you for you all being able to make it on such short notice. Have a good rest of the day." Josh concludes as people begin to part in their own directions. I make my way toward the front of the room with a pretty big pack of other people.

This is good. I think to myself. The more people, the easier it should be.

I spot Zeke across the pack of people and I begin to work my way toward him.

"Zeke!" I call out to see if he'll hear me. Sure enough, he turns his head I'm my direction and waves. I finally make it up next to him.

"This is great, all the people that want to go. It's, great!" He says chuckling when he clearly runs out of words other than 'great'.

I chuckle back, "Yeah, totally."

A bunch of people at the front of the room are typing down names into computers and then those people leave. It's kind of like an unofficial line sort of thing.

"I'm going to go and visit Shauna after this, you wanna stop by later with your crazy puppy there? That's seriously the only thing she has been talking about for the past, who knows how long! I swear she is going to start cheating on me with that dog, but hey, I guess that a dog is pretty exciting when all you can do is sit in a hospital bed for three plus months." Zeke says laughing.

"I was walking him before this whole surprise meeting thing popped up, but yeah sure! I'll walk him down that way and stop by. How is she doing? Any progress?"

"Sadly, no. They aren't sure if she will somehow pull herself out this time. The Erudite medication that they gave her last time that basically got her back to normal isn't working, so that means she'll most likely be in a wheelchair for, possibly the rest of her life." The energy leaves his voice as he looks in the other direction. "I mean, it's probably better than spending the rest of your life in a hospital bed, but still. It's just not the same for her."

Sometimes this serious, gloomy side of Zeke scares me. I forget that he has that kind of side until it is shown, then you know that the situation is bad.

"Yeah." I nod even though he isn't looking to tell.

We eventually get up to the people on the computers and they get Zeke and my names in the computer. Then we leave the now smaller group.

"I'll see you later then!" I say happily trying to cheer him up at least a little.

"I guess so. Bye." He says still partially lifeless as he walks down the hall toward the Infirmary while I kind of stand there for a second as he kicks a rock as he walks.

I wish I could say I knew how he felt, but I don't, but I do, but I don't.

I know what it's like to have the person you love taken away from you.

But don't know what it's like to have the one you love in so much trouble and will never be the same.

At the same time I do.

Tris is from the looks of it is half alive in that building, and there's nothing I can do about it for the moment.

All I can do is watch and wait.

A/N-

Hi humans.

I know and I'm so so so sorry that this chap is WAY overdue, but please hear me out.

I know a lot of you are already, if not, almost out of school for your summer break.

I don't get out of school until June 26 and am currently being bombarded with end of the year tests, finals and homework.

I really need to focus on all of that right now, so updates may be like this for the next few weeks, or at least until I'm out of school. After that....

Well, I don't think there's much of a fanfic left in this to tell...

That is going to be determined over the summer.

Anyways...

25.2k reads!!! <4 <4

Until next time...

Vote!

And

Comment!

And

Be brave because I <4 you all so so much! <4 <4 <4