Chapter 98: Spending Only A Million A Day

The first thing that Rosè Yang did when she left the office was to call Kim Jennie. She'd prefer to tell her the truth first because she would surely find out through third-party sources.

She picked up on the first ring but what greeted Rosè Yang was the sound of loud explosions and gunshots.

"A squad is coming in from Northwest. Let's just stay in this house and snipe." Min Jennie shouted into her headset, distracted by the challenge set before her.

Rosè Yang raised a brow. Why would she pick up if she was going to continue playing the game?

"Aw man! I'm knocked out, come and pick me up, hey, hey where are you going?!" Min Jennie angrily shouted through her headset. She nearly slammed her keyboard in annoyance when her teammates suddenly abandoned her, forcing her to die.

"Goddamnit, I was only five kills away from winning!" She cursed and hit the table.

"Is this a bad time to call you?" Rosè Yang hesitantly asked. She didn't want to tell her the bad news when she was already angry too begin with.

"Depends on what you're calling me for." Min Jennie grumbled and threw her headset onto her bed. She sighed and leaned back in her chair, annoyed at losing another game. She had played five matches before this one and in all of them, she had lost terribly.

"Well..." Rosè Yang trailed off, not sure if she should tell him the bad news or not.

She thought of a better approach and an idea came into mind. "Are you busy tomorrow? Want to go out to eat? It'll be my treat." She offered. She knew the best way to put her in a good mood was to make sure her stomach was full and that her wallet remained as fat as it was.

"Why?" Min Jennie became suspicious at her offer, her eyes narrowing. She knew she had a hidden motive to suddenly offer to treat her to a meal.

Rosè Yang chuckled. "Do I need a reason to invite a longtime friend to eat? Don't be so skeptical of me." She reasoned over the phone while sticking her arm out to hail a cab.

"It's skeptical if it comes out of nowhere." Min Jennie said, just as her stomach decided to grumble for food. She tilted her head to look at the empty ramen cups that littered her desk and wondered whether she should maybe eat something healthier.

"What? Two friends can't suddenly enjoy a good meal together?" Rosè Yang sounded suspicious, even to her own ears. "I just wanted to treat you because we haven't seen each other in a while. Plus, you did a really good job on the task I gave you, so you deserve it."

"Hm, I don't know about this." Min Jennie said while getting up from her desk and walking to the fridge.

"It's free omakase [1], you sure you don't want to come?" Rosè Yang bribed her by using her favorite food to her advantage. If there was one thing that can move her aside from money and games, it would be her obsession with sushi.

Min Jennie opened her fridge and became disappointed when she saw how empty it was. There was a single package of tofu in it and when she pulled it out to examine it, she saw it was expired. Aside from random sauces, nothing was edible. She sighed, omakase sounded really nice right now...

"Which restaurant?"

"Your favorite one." Rosè Yang answered in a heartbeat, quickly seizing the opportunity before her.

"What time?"

"6:30 PM. Right before your live stream starts."

Min Jennie raised a brow. Rosè Yang had everything planned out perfectly. "You know me too well." She pulled out a ramen cup from under her cupboard and filled it with warm water.

"Of course." Rosè Yang chuckled. But she frowned upon hearing the sound of sloshing water.

"You're eating ramen again? That's not good for you." Rosè Yang chided Min Jennie like an older sister. She had practically watched her flourish into the amazing young woman she was today, thus, felt a sense of responsibility in making sure she stays that way.

"It's better than nothing." Min Jennie closed the lid and waited for it to fully cook.

"At least add an egg for nutrition." Rosè Yang continued to nag just as a cab pulled up right in front of her. She climbed in and told the man her address.

"There's nothing in the fridge." Min Jennie grumbled, picking up the cup and bringing it into her room.

"Why didn't you say so earlier? I'm going grocery shopping right now. Want me to pick something up for you?" Rosè Yang lied, ready to tell the cab to turn the car around.

Min Jennie uncapped the ramen, breathing in the heavenly smell of it. "No need. I'm already eating as we speak." She told her just as she loudly slurped up the noodles, nearly burning her tongue in the process.

Rosè  Yang sighed. "Tomorrow, you're going grocery shopping with me. You need some nutrition in your body." She scolded and thought of her tall but incredibly lean frame. Min Jennie was very skinny and pale.

"Going to the grocery is so much work-"

"I'll pay you to go with me." Rosè Yang said, looking out the window. She tilted her head upon seeing the unfamiliar street they were driving by. Maybe this was a quick route home?

"Really? How much?" Min Jennie gleefully asked, her eyes lighting up at the idea of making money.

Rosè Yang chuckled at her enthusiasm. "How does a couple thousand sound?" There was a fond smile on her face as she teased her.

"Pft! Just a couple thousand? I'm pretty sure you use a couple thousand as your toilet paper! How about something in the hundred thousand?"

Rosè Yang laughed at Min Jennie greedy words. "If I want to remain rich, I need to be frugal with my spending."

"As if you ever need to be frugal! Your definition of frugal must be spending only a million a day!"

"Hey, hey, in my defense, I'm paying for your dinner. And on top of that, I'm doing grocery shopping for you. I think my kindness should make up for my cheapness." Rosè Yang joked, leaning her head onto the window just as a pounding headache kicked in. The scent in this car was really weird...

"Twenty thousand and then I'll go with you." Min Jennie negotiated, knowing twenty thousand was probably like twenty cents to her.

Rosè Yang sighed at her greed for money, her eyes tiredly fluttering close. "Alright, fine. Twenty thousand, but you better not complain or whine about the vegetables I pick for you!" Even with her eyes closed, she was already planning out a list of healthy greens for her.

"You're the best!" Min Jennie happily said and immediately hung up first so that she couldn't change her mind.

Rosè Yang tried to sit up but she had become incredibly dizzy. She pressed a hand onto the seat in her attempt but the tiny action of moving her hand drained her energy. She squinted and noticed the air in the car looked foggy...

"Hey, Mister, can you roll down the window?" Her words were slurry as she tried to open the window herself.

Her heart drummed in fear when she found her body unable to move. She struggled to open her eyes, only to see a strange dispenser near the air conditioner vent. She looked at the rear view mirror and felt her heart drop when she saw the gas mask on the cab driver.

'What the hell was going on?' She thought to herself.

He turned the air conditioner to the highest setting which caused more wind to circulate around the car and the strange dispenser blew out more gas.

Her eyes grew hazier and within the next few seconds, black dots began to taint her vision. She tried to fight it, but when she blinked, everything turned to black.