Chapter 25: The Crucible

Start from the beginning

I swiped it from him happily. "We can go now." I told him.

"Where's my 'thank you?'" He asked with that stupid smirk again.

I loaded my rocket launcher quickly and aimed it at him. "Don't test me." I growled.

He threw his hands up defensively. "Fine, fine." He sighed. "If I remember correctly, there's supposed to be a rumble match at the Twilight Gap today. So we're going to Earth."

I just nodded in response and we made our way to the garage.

~~~

I had my Ghost fly Zero's ship as we followed Lazarus to the arena he talked about.

So apparently, this was every Guardian for themself. The Guardian with the most kills wins the match. If you're killed, your Ghost can revive you after a couple of seconds, and you respawn somewhere else. Sounds easy enough. Though my main focus is that Warlock.

There were six Guardians in total competing here. We each spawned in a different area within the map, waited for the countdown, and were then allowed to start.

I immediately reached for my rocket launcher, which I found to be completely empty of ammunition.

"I had just filled this at the Tower..." I muttered angrily.

"Everybody here starts off with no heavy weapon and limited special weapon ammunition." My Ghost informed me.

"Are you kidding me?"

"You'll have several opportunities within the match to collect some." He replied. "For now, just stick to your normal weapon."

I sighed angrily as I reluctantly took out my pulse rifle. I never used it since it wasn't as explosive as my rocket launcher and fusion rifle. It was always more of a precautionary measure.

It wasn't long before I encountered a couple of Guardians already fighting each other. They didn't seem to notice me yet.

I smiled as I took out a Skip Grenade and threw it right between them, finishing them off.

"This is easy!" I shouted happily. I turned in search of more enemies when something sharp penetrated my skull and I blacked out.

I woke up in a different area of the map, completely aware that I had been killed.

"Ghost." I called. "Who was it?"

"Lazarus with a sniper rifle." He replied.

"Damnit." He got me so quickly. I can't let this happen again.

I got up and continued my search. I tried to stay hidden as I trekked the map, occasionally running into a Guardian or two. Some I killed easily, others gave me a challenge, but I still prevailed most of the time.

My Ghost occasionally gave me the rankings. Lazarus was always in first, while I was usually hanging around third or fourth, to my dismay.

This guy always seemed to be a step ahead of me. No matter how well I hid I always found myself in the way of a Nova Bomb or a sniper bullet. He'd always find me first.

I reloaded my fusion rifle and pushed forward, eventually perching myself onto a higher platform and finding a certain Warlock. He was laying on the edge of the platform with his sniper rifle, stalking any movement from below. He didn't seem to notice me as he shot an unsuspecting Titan, killing him with a single shot.

"You're camping?!" I shouted angrily as he jumped up in shock and nearly fell off his platform.

"Hey, Maya. See I-" I didn't even let him finish his sentence as I shot him with my fusion rifle.