46. The Confession [The End]

I pour the batter and let the sizzling cast iron do its job. It's been a week since I started college, and living alone. 

Not exactly alone though. Sugar meows and rubs its small head against my ankle while passing by. He's always the first to finish his breakfast. 

No longer needing to worry about dad's allergy I'm keeping the triplets. But the kittens have come with a baggage. 

Suddenly a large human body hugs me from behind. He takes a deep breath. "Hmmm. Smells good." 

I keep thinking to kick him out every night instead of making him breakfast the next morning, but somehow I never get around to it. 

Raylan places his chin over the top of my head and is now literally hanging over me. 

"Why don't you stop bothering me for a second and go to your place and check if a burglar has already started living there thinking it's an abandoned house?" I say. 

"It wouldn't be abandoned, if we lived there together." 

"And leave my leased and one-month-extra paid apartment? I don't think so." 

"You can sublease it," Raylan says. 

"You want to give it away?" Tony says, coming in. He's often here for breakfasts and dinners. Although I tell them they are a bother, I know I wouldn't be eating decent home cooked meals without them. After all who likes to cook for only one? 

Tony sits down at the table. "Then I'll take your unit," he says. 

"What about your place and the deposit?" I remind him. 

"Screw that. I can lease that one out if needed. All the up and down walking is hard," he says, referring to the commute he has to do between his apartment, that's a level below, and mine. 

Although that sounds like a lazy person's remark, in his defense, all we do in college is walk and it's so damn tiring. Each class seems to be in its own continent. 

I remove the pancake and pour a new one. "That's great," Raylan says to Tony. He turns to me. "Why don't we do that?" 

"Slow down there. I know you're excited to have your boyfriend move even closer to you, but I'm not in the mood to move anytime soon," I say. 

"I'll help you," Raylan quickly says. 

I laugh at his over enthusiasm and plate up the pancakes and give it to him. "I'll think about it," I tell him. 

Later in the evening I return home from shopping a little late carrying a large bag full of groceries in both hands. Since it's the three of us, the fridge is already empty. 

After I maneuver my way into taking out the keys from my pant pocket, I notice someone approach me. 

It's Frank. 

Lowering down my hand that's holding the key, I glare at him. 

"I was just dropping by Chris' place and thought I'd see you and apologize. I'm very sorry, Ellie," he says, "I know what I did doesn't deserve your forgiveness. But I'm really sorry for how I behaved." 

Damn right, it doesn't deserve my forgiveness. But I'm in a lenient mood nevertheless. I sigh. "Look, we both were insensitive to each other. However, you were also a prick. I really want all that in the past and move on with no hard feelings." 

He nods. "Understood." 

"What are you doing here?" Raylan says, arriving now. 

"I just came to apologize to her," Frank says, backing away from him a little.