15. The Clinic

I have a love rival.

She's right across me, smiling and whispering something to Frank.

Why can't my life just be easy and simple?

I take another scoop of the Chocolate Reign and shove it into my mouth.

A moment ago I came to Fortin's to get ice cream, and ran into Frank. He was here with his friends, and asked me to join him.

I thought I could briefly sit down and savor the ice cream with Frank so I agreed.

However, I was seated opposite him. A dark haired, good looking girl was already sitting next to him.

Frank introduced everyone at the table as his friends who are also his classmates, including the girl, Bianca.

I lick clean the spoon while glaring at the girl.

By how she keeps touching his arm, and try to laugh all cutely, and by the extra cheerful smile she gives me from time to time, I'm pretty sure she's no ordinary friend.

Eventually, I've enough of this. I shove in the last scoop and swallow it whole. I also have to be somewhere now, so I tell Frank I have to leave.

He walks me to the exit. "You sure you can't stay longer? We are heading to catch a movie next. I was hoping you would come."

"No, I really have to leave."

"Alright. Thank's for hanging out with us. I hope my friends didn't bother you very much."

"Oh, no. They were pretty cool, your friends and your girlfriend."

Frank's eyebrows raise mischievously. "My girlfriend?"

"You and Bianca. And if you tell me there's nothing between you two I would be disappointed. You should know me better than that by now," I say grinning.

He laughs. "Well, I wouldn't dare lie to you," he says and scratches his neck. "She's also my ex."

That's what he thinks. I'm pretty sure her opinion would differ. "Staying friends with your ex? I didn't think you were that much of daredevil."

He laughs again. "I kinda don't have much of a choice. All of us have been friends for a long time. In fact, after I started dating her I realized we are really much better as friends."

Again, I don't believe she shares that same opinion as him.

My phone rings. I look at the name. It's Raylan. Grr. What does he want? I take the call.

"I'm at the pet clinic," Raylan says.

Instantly, I panic. "What? Why? Are they alright?"

"They are fine. I just brought them for their vaccine appointment."

I sigh. "Oh."

"I've a team meeting at school soon, so come to the clinic to pick them up."

I groan. "Can't you just drop them off at your place on your way? I'm heading to Tess' house now."

"Someone has to watch them for a few hours after their vaccination," he says.

Since he has had a pet before, I'm going to take his word on that. "Alright, I'm coming," I say and end the call.

"That's the boy next door you hate?" Frank says. I nod.

"You sure there's nothing between you two?" He says with a smirk.

"Nice try. Only I get to be the snob of us two, mister" I say.

"Sure. You can be anything you want between us two," he says with a gentle gaze towards me that makes my heart flutter.