22. The Conundrum

My stuttering car eventually stops.

I think of all the horror movies where a girl was driving late at night on an empty road. It was raining. The car stopped working.

I shake my head off of what had happened to all those girls in the movies.

Let's not be scared and be brave like an adult.

What will an adult do now?

They will probably check what's wrong with the car.

I glance at the dashboard, then at the the pouring rain outside.

Let's just say I did check the car and couldn't find what's wrong with it.

What's the next step an adult will take?

Call someone to tow the car???

Should I google for any nearby towing service?

But if the car gets towed what will I do? I won't be in the car while it's getting dragged away in chains.

The adult would probably arrange a ride for them first.

A cab? Family pickup? Hitchhike? What will an adult do?

An adult will probably call a cab.

I open the app and try to book a ride to home.

The progress bar keeps progressing but never finishes. After a minute of staring at it, I give up.

Family pickup then. But... I don't want to get scolded for not leaving early for home as soon as the weather got worse.

Hitchhike...?

No. No. Let's leave that for the adults.

Oh, fuck.

Sorry, Raylan. I try to be nice to you, but the weather won't let me!

I call him.

After I tell him about my unfortunate circumstance, location and "request" for a ride, I disconnect the call.

He should be here in ten to fifteen minutes. Or maybe twenty in this weather. I rest my forehead over the steering wheel and close my eyes.

I stay like this for a couple of minutes.

But inner peace is evasive.

So I open my eyes and start scrolling through my social media. I see a photo of Frank and instantly tap a like on it like the loyal girlfriend I am.

After liking the photo something dawns on me...

I... I have a boyfriend.

Fuck, why didn't I call him?!!!

I cry and kick my feet against the car's floor.

It's like I'm on auto mode - I need something I call Raylan. Which is absolutely fine, but I just missed an opportunity to be with Frank.

Should I call and cancel the ride with Raylan? He must've already left though.

Alright, next time the car breaks down I have to call Frank - I write down on a mental post-it note.

No wonder Tony got suspicious last time saying I was often bothering Raylan. Good thing Tony didn't ask if I had something on Raylan. I'm very experienced with blackmailing but my lying is a bit rusty.

I close my eyes again and rest my head over the steering wheel. Exhaustion creeps up on me. I want to go home.

After what feels like an eternity I see headlights of a car. It stops next to mine. I unlock my car door to get out but Raylan steps out of his car and comes over to mine.

He gets in. "Start the car," he says. I reluctantly do. I just want to go home already.

The car doesn't start. Raylan steps out of the car again and goes to the hood and opens it. He takes a moment inspecting then comes back inside the car.

He's drenched by now. "Battery is out."

"I told you the car wasn't starting. Can we go home now? Please!"

"Wait. I've called for a tow. It'll be here soon. We'll leave then," he says.

Whining I lean back on my seat. I guess he knows what to do when a car breaks down, and for that I'm happy for him. But I want to leave already.

"What were you doing out so late?" Raylan says.

"It's not that late. It's the weather," I say.

"Should have left as soon as it started to get dark."

"The guy at the service shop said it would be done in just an hour and I could take the console with me. But it took more than an hour."

"You were out at JJ's? Thought you were on a date with that metro guy."

"You mean my boyfriend, Frank? No I was not."

Silence for a moment.

"You don't even know that guy for long," Raylan says.

Not him too! Seriously Raylan and Tony need to get a new hobby.

I promised Becca I'm going to try to be nice to the boys. So I try. "Don't worry I'll take the whole day today to get to know that guy before marrying him tomorrow."

"Hey, I was just saying. You don't need to hurry with this. If it's about what I sa-"

By the Almighty's grace, light floods into the car and puts an end to the conversation.

The tow truck is here.

I move to Raylan's car and watch mine getting dangled over a large hook. It's gonna be okay, car. I'll come back for you later.

After the tow truck leaves Raylan comes into his car. I quickly close my eyes and lean back on my seat, pretending to rest so we can't pick up the conversation where we left.

I don't want to argue with him. Otherwise I'll just bring up those photos, and I don't want to do that when Raylan is being somewhat nice to me.

Becca was right - it's not like they hate me. We just have different personalities that get in each other's way.

I'll cut him some slack.

"So you fucked him yet?" Raylan says.

Or I'll just cut him into pieces. That works too.

"You have some nerve asking me about my sex life after mocking me for being a virgin."

"So this is about what I said," he says.

"Oh my God, Dad! I will be careful with the boys! Happy?!"

Raylan smirks. "You better be baby girl, or daddy will be very upset."

Ewww. I hate him. I just hate this shameless dragon.

"If you get upset, I'll show mommy photos of you and the girl from the parking lot," I cheerfully say.

Raylan's cocky smirk is finally put to rest.

End of chapter

A/N -

Why I have titles in "C"

is a mystery even to me

But I'll go with that flow

and see you tomorrow

PS: On "Don't Pray To me," I'll update it this weekend. Thanks for those inquiries guys, they keep me in track 💕

Buh bye now 👋