21. The Confusion

Our fingers intertwine as we hold each other's hand on the beach.

Frank and I are on a date at the fair. Although my experience is still not much, I've come to find out that the best moments in a date are the simplest moments, like a kiss, hand holding or a joke.

The grand moments are good too, like the die hard determination of Frank to get me the fluffy fish even if it meant he had to keep playing the game so many times that he had paid for the game much more than what the plushy would cost.

We walk while making plans for the next weekend.

I hear a familiar voice call my name. "Ellie."

Frank and I stop walking and we look at Tony.

"Thought it was you," Tony says to me, but he's looking at Frank. "Who's this?"

"This is Frank-"

"The guy from the metro?" Tony says.

I quickly add, "He's my boyfriend," before Tony says something unnecessary.

Tony's brows raise at me. "I didn't know you are dating."

Since when Tony and I shared updates on our personal lives?

"Alright, I won't bother you guys. Have a good time," Tony says and leaves. I watch him carefully. I hope Raylan's not here, too. To my relief, I see Tony reach his girlfriend, Lara.

"Was that the boy next door?" Frank says.

"This one is from the other next door. Tony," I say.

"He's as bad as the other one?" Frank says.

"I suppose. They are thick as thieves. See what I've been dealing with all my life?"

Frank laughs. "Well, your knight in shining armor is here now. Want me to shake up Tony there?"

It's my turn to laugh. "And get me killed? I don't think so."

The rest of the date goes smoothly. We stay here as long as possible until I'm almost pushing my curfew.

We head to the parking lot where we see a flat tire on Frank's car.

"Shit. I don't have a spare. Let's just take a cab now since it's getting late for you. I'll come tomorrow and get it fixed," Frank says.

"Is everything alright?" Tony says from behind us. Lara isn't next to him.

"We got a flat," I say.

"Need any help changing the tire?" Tony says.

"Nah, man. I don't have a spare," Frank says.

"You can use mine. I just had my car serviced, so I'm good," Tony says.

"I don't want to trouble you. We'll just take a cab," Frank says.

"It's not a problem. Like I said, I'm good. Need my help with it?"

"No, I got it," Frank says.

Tony and Frank remove the spare from Tony's car and bring it to Frank's. Frank starts to remove the flat tire.

Tony comes over next to me and says, "I don't like him." Frank can't hear us.

"Great. More the reason I do," I say.

"I'm serious. What do you know about this guy? You barely know him."

"We've known each other for weeks now. Besides isn't that the point of dating? To get to know each other? Why do you and Raylan have to always make things difficult for me?"

Tony sighs. "Look, what Raylan said that day about you being desperate was wrong. He shouldn't have said. So there's nothing for you to prove to anyone by hurrying into a relationship."

"This is not about Raylan. This is about me. I like Frank."

"Look, this is your first relationship. I'm just concerned you might not be making a good choice for you. And don't just dismiss Raylan like that when you are the one who's been bothering him these days. The number of times he'd done things for you, if I didn't know better, I would say he was boyfriend, not this guy I don't know anything about."

That makes me want to laugh. Why is Tony advising me like the adult here when I should be the one telling him his relationship decisions suck. And unlike him, who's basing it all off of some feeling, I actually have proof for my opinions.

But I would've sunk really low if I brought up what Lara did now just to spite Tony.

Frank finishes swapping the tires.

"When you're done with it, just leave it at Ellie's. I'll pick it up from there," Tony says to Frank and heads back into the fair.

Frank and I get into his car and he starts driving. "It seems they are not as bad as you say," Frank says, smiling.

Frank is a rarity. I knew that from day one. That's why I like him this much.

However the seed of doubt planted by Tony begins to take root in spite of my resistance. Did I really rush into this only because I don't want to graduate from high school without having had a boyfriend? Or am I really in love with Frank?

---

The next day morning, I'm still in a sour mood.

This is what I genuinely hate about Tony and Raylan. Sometimes the things they say can fucking hurt, and it's worse because they've known me almost all my life now, and as much as I hate to admit it there are times when they know me better than I do just like Tess and Becca.

But unlike my friends, those two can be insensitive as hell.

It's like Tony said, this is my first relationship. So why make me feel bad about it? And why should I care about his approval?

Or is he really trying to save me from a heartbreak?

I ruffle my head, feeling frustrated.

"What's the matter?" Becca says.

I tell her.

Becca says, "Look, I know I'm not the best person to advise on this, given my record of psycho boyfriends. But it's just best to not take everything seriously now, and just go with the flow and have fun. You have fun with Frank?"

"I do."

"Then that's all there is to it. Enjoy your time with him, and when the time comes you'll know if he's really as important to you as you want him to be."

I nod.

"And I will say the same about Tony and Raylan, too," Becca says.

I look at her confused. "What do you mean?"

"Look, I know they are annoying as hell and have put you through hell, but I also know you do care about them. And you shouldn't think everything they do or say to you is because they hate you."

"Isn't that the truth?"

"I know deep down you don't believe that. What Raylan did that day with Deel, even close friends sometimes won't do that for us. And I've a feeling he would've done it even if you didn't have those photos of him and Lara."

I laugh. "You don't know him that well then. Besides, it was really Peter who helped us. Raylan was probably dragged into that by his brother."

Becca looks like she has more to say. I stop her. "Okay. I'll try to be nicer to them. Is that fine? But I'm still blackmailing Raylan!"

Becca laughs. "I don't want you to stop that either."

End of chapter

A/N - Mid week hustle? Check. Til tomorrow 💕