39. The Cheeky

I stare at the piles of cardboard boxes in the garage. It's like this almost every time my sister visits now. Why can't she just look through them in the basement itself instead of moving them here?

The weather is hot. Heat has seeped into the garage, making me feel tired.

I bump my head against one of the piled up boxes. What possessed me to send those photos to Tony? Now I'm without my handyman to help.

I straighten up, pull up my sleeves and get to it.

By the time I'm halfway done, I'm completely exhausted and covered in sweat. I go upstairs, wash up, go to the kitchen, pour myself some lemonade and settle on the couch with the TV on. I'll get back to the rest of the boxes after this break.

A few minutes later mom comes in. "You put away those boxes?"

"Half of them. Will get back to the rest soon."

"Good. Jeremy's mom called now. She just visited Mr. Finnigan. He's out of some supplies. Why don't you go to the market now and get them?"

I groan and fall limp on my couch. Mom doesn't understand the concept of a break.

A moment later I leave the house with my cap on, and halfway to the market I realize I should've taken the car after all.

But the store is nearby only. It's the sun that seems to keep moving it far from me.

Eventually I get to the store and buy the things in the list mom gave me, and an ice cream for myself.

I go to Finnigan's place, drop the supplies and pick up Toad for a walk.

We go to the park and sit down under a tree, so I could eat my ice cream in shade.

While doing so I notice a motorbike across the far end of the park. Those Weltrope guys never learn their lesson.

I take out my phone and call Raylan.

"I'm at the park and looking at one of those biker guys on his bike," I tell him.

"I'll be there in a moment," he says.

A minute later, Raylan's car appears and as soon as the guy on the bike sees the car he gets onto his bike and drives away.

Raylan parks his car next to the entrance and comes in.

"You're not going to chase him?" I ask as he sits down next to me.

"Nah. It's too hot outside," Raylan says, "You got one more?" He says nodding at my ice cream.

I shake my head.

"I'll take a bite then," he says, bends down and takes a big bite of my ice cream. Half of it is gone. This dragon!

We don't say anything and continue to enjoy the shade. After I'm done eating my ice cream, Raylan offers to take us home.

We drop Toad first on our way, then reach my house.

I look at garage from inside the car and place my chin over the window. "Raylan."

"Hmmm?"

"Could you do me a favor?"

He laughs. "How does it taste like to ask for a favor instead of ordering me around?"

"Bitter."

"What do you want?"

"Those damn boxes are back out in the garage."

"Your sister came by?"

I nod. "I already moved half of them. But... there's still half more," I say, whining, "I'm tired."

"Well, I suppose I can help. But what do I get in return?"

I perk up and look at him. "There's ice cream in the fridge."

He sighs. "I was hoping you'd offer something more tempting, but it is hot, so I'll settle for an ice cream now."

He parks his car inside the driveway and we get off and enter the garage.

Although I don't move the boxes, I help pile them up since he picks up more than one at a time, and I want these out of my sight as soon as possible or I'll end up having nightmares where I'm getting chased by cardboard boxes.

After clearing out them all, we get into the house.

"She bothered you again?" Mom asks as soon as she sees us come in.

"It's alright, there weren't that many," he says to her.

"That's because I'd already moved half of them," I say, reminding my mom of my hard work from before, "And now I'm treating Raylan to an ice cream." I open the fridge and take out a packet and give it to him. "See?"

My mom just smiles and gets back to her work.

After he finishes his ice cream he has to go. At the front door, Raylan turns to me. "Ellie, I th-"

"No," I say.

"No what?"

"We're not having the talk. Not yet. No."

He sighs.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I did," I tell him, "It wasn't my place to let Tony know what happened, especially like that. It was between you and him and I shouldn't have butted in the way I did. But what you did was not fair either. I'm still mad at you."

"And I deserve that. So, yeah, understood. But what I wanted to say was you don't have to bribe me or anything for favors. If you need anything, just order me as usual. I'll do it for you."

I bite my lips to try not to smile only to break out laughing. "Yeah, nice try Romeo. Now out," I say pushing him away.

Grinning, he backs off. "Of course I could use a kiss or two in return," he says.

"Not if you want your cheeks intact."

"Fine, I'll take the kiss and the slap."

"I'm wasting neither on you," I say and close the door.

He's such a cheeky dragon.

End of chapter

A/N - See you tomorrow :)