Chapter Twenty

warning: not edited

OMNISCIENT POV

Jimea was greeted with a bustle of noises and a lively atmosphere once she walked into her local grocery store. The store was located on a busy street that's constantly flowing with people entering and leaving.

Although the store is small it's well stocked with an array of goods. The shelves are lined with locally produced food items such as beans, rice, cornmeal alongside its imported products like canned goods and beverages.

Jimea grabbed a cart and made her way to her favorite aisle which was the produce section. Her eyes lit with happiness as she took in the shelves that were stocked with fresh fruits and vegetables. She grabbed a handful of plantains and mangoes. She frowned once she noticed the avocados were out of stock so she grabbed tomatoes instead.

The aisles in the store are narrow and the shelves are stacked high and kept clean and organized. She pushed the cart to the beverage aisle, passing by an elderly woman who looked to be in her mid-40s carrying a screaming toddler. Jimea was glad she didn't kids. Not like she planned on having them anyway, she has no desire to be a mom.

Opening the refrigerator door, she reached for her favorite soda, Cola Couronne.

As she made her way to the front of the store to checkout, her eyes roamed the newly painted walls that were painted in bright, cheerful colors. Some of the walls had posters and signs advertising special deals and promotions.

"Ou soti nan tomat." Jimea informs Leon, who is the cashier and store owner.
(You're out of tomatoes.)

Leon shakes his head as he begins to scan Jimea's food once she places them on the counter. "Ah mwen konnen. Fanm sa a grès ak pitit li yo te vini nan isit la yè epi li te achte yo tout."
(Ahhh I know. This fat woman and her fat children came in here yesterday and bought them all.)

Jimea chuckles at Leon's words before reaching into her purse to grab her ringing phone. Once she sees it's Benji calling she immediately declines and stuffs her phone back in her purse. For the past two weeks she's been ignoring Benji's calls and texts. He didn't do anything wrong, in fact it's the complete opposite. She likes talking to Benji a lot, he's sweet, attentive, and makes her laugh more than anyone ever has. The problem is she lives in Haiti and he lives in California. She does hair from the comfort of her small apartment and he is a prominent restaurant owner and chef.

Their lives are just too different and that makes her developing feelings for him complicated. She didn't want to pursue a relationship that was already doomed to begin with. So she took the easy approach and just ignored him, but Benji has been really persistent so sooner or later she'll have to block him.

After paying for her groceries and thanking Leon, Jimea takes her two grocery bags and heads out the store, down the street to her apartment.

Jimea's neighborhood is lively with a strong sense of community. The sound of music and laughter could be heard as she turns down the street. The apartment buildings are colorful and vibrant, painted in shades of pink, blue, and yellow.

The neighborhood is densely populated, and the apartments are small and closely spaced together. As her apartment comes into view, Jimea takes in the scene before her of three kids playing jump rope in the middle of the street.

"Jimea! Jimea! Vini non jwe avèk nou!" Yves, calls out to her as he turns the jump rope.
(Jimea! Jimea! Come play with us!)

Jimea sighs as she switches hands to hold her grocery bags. "Se pa jodi a Yves, mwen dwe kwit."
(Not today Yves, I have to cook.)