012

One Month Later

Ah, the Snowball. Every middle schooler here in Hawkins gets to experience the night of dancing with your crush. If you got lucky, that is. Every kid couldn't wait for that moment to arrive. If you got lucky, that is.

I remember when I went. (idek if the snowball was a thing that many years ago but we're definitely gonna pretend it was)

I wore a light blue dress with black heels, had my hair tied back with two braids, and carried a little purse. At the time, of course I didn't go with Jonathon. It was "too scary" to ask a boy to dance with me at the time.

So I sat at the table with my friends, watching from afar as girls were asked to dance and later on had their first kiss.

Looking back on it now, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I just had to wait and now i'm dating my childhood crush.

I had a broad grin on my face as I poured more punch for the friends waiting in line. Seeing the kids here have a fun time and get to experience something new made me remember what it was like then. I'd honestly do anything to go back and relive middle school, rather than be stressed in high school.

"Thank you." the group said and walked back to their tables to enjoy the night.

My mind wondered for a moment, growing bored at the fact all I'm doing is standing. I volunteered to help out with the program but didn't think i'd get the most boring part...

I looked around to see if there were any familiar faces. Jonathan was still on picture duty. The party was sitting at their table. And Nancy...was dancing with Dustin?

Well isn't that sweet.

With a flip I positioned the "help yourself" sign towards the front of the table. My eyes roamed the area for bathrooms signs and I soon followed them down the hallway. I passed Jonathan and gave him a quick wink, laughing afterwards.

He flashed a shy, yet bright smile, companied with a laugh.

I could feel my smile grow ten times bigger as I walked into the bathroom. Seeing his happiness fills me with joy and warms my chest.

"Gross." I muttered, opening one of the stalls.

Public restrooms were something I tried to avoid. I always told myself "I can hold it" or "just don't drink too much" but I never succeeded. To reassure myself, I wiped the seat with toilet paper, then deciding it was okay to sit.

Afterwards, while I washed my hands, I noticed the change of the sink water. The abrupt shift in temperature— warm to freezing— was unexplainable. I made sure to wash my hands with warm water.

Are the pipes here acting up?

I shut off the water flow and grabbed some paper towels, ignoring the situation. Once my hands were dry I placed my rings back on and continued on my way.

The moment my hand made contact with the door handle, the lights in the bathroom flickered. It was ominous and concerning with how my movements matched up. I shook my head, dismissing the scene, and stepped into the hall beyond eager to get away.

With a deep, cleansing breath, I walked into the gym rather thankful to be in a crowd.

A song with laid-back cadence and upbeat tone played on the speakers. Some of the kids that still felt like it were up and moving around, laughing and trying fun dances with their friends.

As I went to flip the "help yourself" sign once again, someones hand stopped mine. I looked at the person.

"I think they can wait." Jonathan says, lightly grasping my hand. "I've had to wait all night to finally talk with you."

I chuckle, and let him lead us to the dance floor. "You could've stopped by for some...punch?"

He chuckles at my empty gesture as we get in position to slow dance. I can't help but smile, resting my hands on his shoulders as we begin to move to the soft sounds of the music.

"Y'know, you look gorgeous. Sorry I didn't tell you sooner." Jonathan lightly squeezes my waist to enhance his words. His touch makes my heart flutter as I grin widely in appreciation.

"You look rather handsome yourself." I can't help but blush and look away as I reply to his compliment.

He chuckles lightly and brings my chin up with his fingers, looking into my eyes. "If I haven't said it enough..." He takes a breath and sighs. "I love you, Y/n. So much."

I unconsciously nod my head as if it was a reflex, not second-guessing his words. "I know. And I love you, too. More than I can even begin to describe."

He smiles. "I know I might've been really distant or, just didn't talk as much, but I promise I care and love for you the same. It was just all so stressful."

As he speaks, I can notice the love in his eyes and hear the sincerity in his voice, which causes my chest to swell. "You don't have to worry about being distant or not talking as much." I gently squeeze his shoulders.

"I always know that you care and love me. I understand that things can be stressful at times, especially what you've just went through, but I want you to know that I'm always here for you, no matter what. Your happiness and peace of mind are my priority, too."

As Jonathan presses a tender kiss to my lips and pulls me close, the rest of the world melts away, leaving only the two of us in our own small, comforting bubble. I lay my head against his chest, relaxing into him. We sway together, too lost in the moment to care if anyone was watching. We are content simply in the embrace of each other, letting our worries disappear.

We we're forever. Always.

book 2? done🥹