ii.

tonight is halloween.

tonight, is halloween.

TONIGHT IS HALLOWEEN.

"y/n?"

"hm?" i looked up from my plate that had equal servings of sides and a nice steak, which all went untouched.

my dad opened his mouth and paused, giving mom a look. i continued to pick at the food not bothering to see her response. this evening wasn't particularly a good one for me. in 3 hours i had to get ready, regardless of knowing what i'm doing tonight. that wasn't the problem; the feeling in my stomach was.

"how was school, sweetheart?"my mom smiled as i glanced up at her, just to drop my gaze again.

"it was interesting. nothing new."

"interesting? would you like to share?"

"well, yesterday we got a new kid." i decided to suck up my feelings and make conversation. in the end, my parents would just be worried and end up thinking they did something or something happened.

"he seems.. uh, different? not in a bad way. just the typical rude ass. had to have his dramatic entrance, y'know?"

my parents nodded in agreement, having their fair share of those type of guys in high school. endless stories were told by them to me about how it was growing up. i enjoyed hearing how my parents got this far, relationship and all. they were high school sweethearts and stuck together this many years later, adding a daughter to the mix.

"i'll save that for you for later. it'll be on the counter when you get home."

"you're going out?" my dad sounds genuine in his question, probably thinking i would stay in my room all night or be home.

"i mean, i think so. i would like to, but, who knows. maybe i'll just stay." i muttered the last part, pushing my chair back and standing up.

"if i do go, i'll be back by two." i say, walking towards the stairs. "love you."

my parents returned the phrase and continued talking about whatever, while i headed to my room. i instantly fell back on my bed, reaching over to the light blue phone and dialing a number i knew all too well.

jonathan's pov

"so you hit "t" to zoom in, and "w" zooms back out." i noted bob's directions about the camera since it would be useful later tonight.

"just make sure to turn off the power to save energy there."

noted, also.

"listen. stay close to your brother or y/n, okay?"

"if you get a bad feeling or anything, you tell them to take you straight home. you promise?"

will gave several "okay's" before turning and facing y/n and i.

"are you ready, bud?" i worried a little on the inside, not knowing how he would react tonight. kids would definitely be picking on others, as always, but the past upside down trauma was a different story.

"yeah." he smiled big, looking between me and y/n for the shared excitement.

"be safe." mom called as we walked through the door.

tiny timeskip

"i just don't get what she sees in him."

"huh?" y/n says from the backseat. she made herself comfortable by laying down and staring at the roof. it was cute to watch her look around back there while i drove.

"what?" will looks over at me.

"bob." i give him a look, a bit confused on how he didn't think the same. not even a little.

"at least he doesn't treat me different."

in the rear view i see y/n perk up, a dissatisfied look on her face. will felt different, we both knew it. she knew how much it meant for him to be open about his feelings, but it saddened her he felt this way.

"i mean, i can't even go trick-or-treating by myself. it's lame."

"hey!" in a second there were arms leaning against the seats, y/n leaning forward.

"so you're calling us lame? i understand jonathan, duh, but me?" she put the fake exaggeration in her voice so easily. "kinda hurts my feelings. oh well."

she plopped back down in the back and rested on the opposite side, so will had clear view of her "angry" face.

"no, no!" he chuckled. "no, but it's not like nancy's coming to watch over mike, you know?"

i sighed and looked out of the window, then straight ahead. i already knew y/n was already looking at me through the mirror. i knew we both knew will was right. i felt at ease when she snaked her hand onto my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, reassuring me.

it would all be okay.

jonathan cut the engine with a sigh, turning to will who was eager to get out. it sucked, someone so young had to deal with such troublesome things. will was strong, nonetheless, but the upside down definitely took a toll on him. and he didn't want to be treated differently as jonathan told me.

so i can imagine how having to be watched on halloween felt.

"hey, listen." jonathan starts.

"yeah?"

"if i let you go on your own, you promise to stay in the neighborhood?"

a spark of joy appeared on will's face and a wide grin.

"yeah! yeah, yeah, totally."

"and be back at mike's by 9:00."

"9:30?" he tried to reason, but jonathan shook his head.

"9:00." he said more sternly.

"yeah. yeah, deal."

"all right."

"hey, will. don't let any of your spazzy friends use this, all right?"

"have fun!" i yelled from the back, watching him run happily towards his friends.

"bye guys!"

"he'll be fine, babe. if somethings wrong he'll tell you. i'm sure." i sat up and rested my chin on his shoulder.

"yeah.." he said looking ahead, watching the boys talk.

he shifted in his seat to pull something out of his pocket, which was bright orange. he unfolded it and read over it.

"you thinkin about it?" i questioned, surprised he still had the paper tucked away.

"maybe... it could be alright?" he suggested, shrugging his shoulders.

i smirked, "of course it'll be. i'm gonna be there."

jonathan shook his head before i pressed a kiss to his cheek.

how was everyone's day/night? my dog chewed up my airpod 😕🤟🏽